Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Non Bose stereo with Bose speakers

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Default Non Bose stereo with Bose speakers

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1011

anyone ever try something like this to link an aftermarket stereo to the stock Bose speakers?

Why can't the aftermarket stereo be hooked up to the original Bose speakers?

I know the 'amp isat each speaker story' .. but I would love a more technical discussion about it.

Any opinions are welcome.. thanks

J

Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Non Bose stereo with Bose speakers

I did it in my '87. It works fine as long as I don't run the volume up on the head unit too far. It has it's own amp and in conjunction with the speaker amps the extra power will make the speakers cut out. It took all of about 20 minutes to do and the only problem was finding the main power wire to the speaker amps with no wiring diagram. That was 15 minutes alone, LOL! It turned out to be a pink wire and once hooked to a source,(stereo antenna power feed), It worked great.I did it in the parking lot of the stereo store I bought the dash panelkit from. No problems to date. (knock on wood). Not very technical but .....

Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 PM

The Bose system was already gone when I boughtmy car,but I'm still curious about this. I know most head units you buy now a days has a "pre out" which is only a preamp, that connects directly to an external amp via RCA jacks.Being that theBose speakers already have their own amps, could you maybe use RCA jacks too on the speaker wires and connect them directly to the pre-out on the head unit. Blueshark, in your case, you have the amp on the head unit driving the amp on the speakers, the reason you can't turn the volume up much on the head unit, I assume.

Do the Bose speakers have there own power source?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rshiver

Blueshark, in your case, you have the amp on the head unit driving the amp on the speakers, the reason you can't turn the volume up much on the head unit, I assume.

Do the Bose speakers have there own power source?
That's my take on it too. It gets plenty loud at level 3 on the head unit. and Yes the Bose speakers have a seperate power soursce. One lead for the lot.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 AM

Hey Shark, I am struggling with the HU replacement on my '87. I'm using the SVEN4 to handle the non-bose to bose issue.

No sound... Please tell me more about the pink power wire for the speakers. Which one is it and where should I connect it to?

Like you I have no wiring diagrams for the bose system but I may not be as creative as you are...

Thanks for any help!!!
John

Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Got it working!! I had to apply power to the pink wire, as indictated in various other posts. With the radio I am installing, I used the antenna power lead to fire up the bose system.

Thanks!
John

Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jchenriksen

Hey Shark, I am struggling with the HU replacement on my '87. I'm using the SVEN4 to handle the non-bose to bose issue.

No sound... Please tell me more about the pink power wire for the speakers. Which one is it and where should I connect it to?

Like you I have no wiring diagrams for the bose system but I may not be as creative as you are...

Thanks for any help!!!
John
John, Sorry I didn't get back sooner. You seem to have sussed the cure. If I understand you right you did the same thing I did with the power antenna feed. Glad you got her figured out. Cheers.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: 3BlkC4Ragtop

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...p;dept_id=1011

anyone ever try something like this to link an aftermarket stereo to the stock Bose speakers?

Why can't the aftermarket stereo be hooked up to the original Bose speakers?

I know the 'amp isat each speaker story' .. but I would love a more technical discussion about it.

Any opinions are welcome.. thanks

J
Hello,

An aftermarket head unit can be connected to most Bose systems if the proper interface adapter is used. I have a '92 and '99 Corvette and I have not had any problems connecting to theBose speaker system(s). An adapter is required because the Bose amp uses an usual input circuitry topology. An off-set voltage (-4 volts) is present on the Bose amp input wires, which means you cannot connect directly to the head unit speaker wires or RCA line output.

Any seasoned installer (or knowledgable DIYer)should be able to interface an aftermarket head unit to a Bose system. The main obstacle, is getting past the installers prejudice about Bose equipment. I have built my own adapters without any problems.

CG

Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM

THANKS CG...

This is more like what I was after..

some technical info...

can you elaborate on 'a diy'r building it himself'.. this is where I am and would like to take a shot at it.

would you be willing to share your 'adapters' with the community?

teach us how you built them?

thanks in advance for any further info

Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Got a pioneer for a few hundred from Midamerica and it installed right up but it said specify Bose or Non-bose so it hooked up fine to the Bose. Very good unit. Pioneer is my favorite brand by far. Kenwood is pretty good to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non Bose stereo with Bose speakers