Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Questions that are easy for most I'm sure

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Default Questions that are easy for most I'm sure

1.What is that little **** directly below the steering column? Sticks/points down towards the floor.
2. Where's the fuse box, my horn doesn't work so I'm hoping that's all it is.
3. I have the spare tire and know where it goes but can't get the "cradle" down to put the tire in.

Any help with these is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MY1979
1.What is that little **** directly below the steering column? Sticks/points down towards the floor.

It is used to reset the trip odometer.

2. Where's the fuse box, my horn doesn't work so I'm hoping that's all it is.

On the firewall above your left foot.

3. I have the spare tire and know where it goes but can't get the "cradle" down to put the tire in.

You have to remove the lock using your keys and that exposes a bolt that you loosen enough to allow you to slip it out of the slot and drop the housing containing your spare.

Any help with these is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
See above.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:08 AM

after driving awhile the cab is hot. no ac is this normal

Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Assuming that you have A/C, it's not normal for the cockpit to be warm if the A/C is working properly. Check to see that the air conditioning compressor clutch engages when you turn it on and check to see that the fan works on all speeds. If those all work properly, you will need to get the charge pressure checked.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 PM

The little **** is the headlight door override switch. Pull it down and it will open the headlamp doors without turning on the lights. Push back in to close them. They're vacuum operated and the reservoir only holds so much vacuum without the motor running.

Horn problems are quite common. As long as you have a test light or simple meter the horn circuit is very easy to troubleshoot.

The spare tire holder is supposed to have a key lock but it's often missing. If present it should work with the door key. With the lock off you push up a bit on the carrier which allows you to swing the bolt out of its channel.

A hot cabin (in any but cold weather) and insufficient A/C in a '79 is very often related to the vacuum operated system that shuts off circulation to the heater core with the temperature control lever all the way to "cold". The main components are the shut-off switch (behind the glove box) and the shut-off valve (passenger side of engine compartment near the coolant reservoir). To diagnose first find the shut-off valve--it has two large rubber heater hoses attached and one tiny vacuum hose. Disconnect the vacuum hose, put the temperature lever all the way to "cold" and feel for vacuum at the hose (engine running of course). If you feel vacuum yet the system ALWAYS blows heated air the valve is bad. If you don't feel vacuum the shut-off switch is probably to blame. In late '79 they changed styles of the shut-off switch with the new button requiring what I can only describe as an "extension condom". If it has fallen off the lever won't close the switch. New switches (actually the old style with no need for the extension) are available and you can also fabricate something (like I did) to work.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info.