Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

renegade intake install temp sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Default renegade intake install temp sensor problem

I have an 82 collectors and have started installing renegade intake I have a problem with the coolant temp sensor the threaded hole is smaller than stock anybody had this problem or know if there is a different sensor that will fit the smaller hole, thanks

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

You might be able find some bushings in the plumbing section that will let you go to a larger size. Or you could drill out and retap the hole to the larger size.

Last edited by 73shark; 09-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Question

Originally Posted by vettage
I have an 82 collectors and have started installing renegade intake I have a problem with the coolant temp sensor the threaded hole is smaller than stock anybody had this problem or know if there is a different sensor that will fit the smaller hole, thanks
I have a Renegade with this same problem. I have e-mailed both DCS and Eddie Motorsports over the past couple weeks and have seen no response. Pretty amazing considering the $550 purchase and the supposed 1 yr warranty and they can't be bothered to address an answer as to which sensor to use.

I ordered a late model sensor GM part number 12608814 and AC Delco number 213-4333 because it is a smaller diameter at the threads and looked like it might fit. Got it today and while it does sorta thread in, it fits loosely and the sensor tail hits inside the water passage before fully threading in. It would surely leak coolant even if it didn't hit.

I'm at a loss as to why its threaded this way for a smaller sensor and no documentation noting any change.

I will search some more, but have not ruled out drilling it larger and tapping for the old school 80s style coolant temp sensor that should go there.

I got mine in late May this year and am just getting around to installing it. I'm wondering if it is just that recent run of manifolds before DCS stopping selling on their site in April or if anyone ran into this on previous runs of the manifold.

thoughts anyone?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Default renegade

I found out they drilled the wrong size hole and actually it is misplaced also. I contacted them and they found that all the manifolds on the shelf were incorrect. I returned mine and meanwhile they pulled all manifolds redrilled and tapped one for me and sent it out. Mine is installed and all fits very well. Anyone who has purchased recently and has this problem should contact them and inform them their product is defective and send it back, they were very reasonable and got me another quickly. I have no complaints at all, I know mistakes happen and the follow up was good by them. The manifold was well worth the expense and labor my car has lots more power now, I was a little reluctant changing stock on my car as it only has 40k miles, original paint and is pretty much all original but the sacrifice of having the silly renegade embossed on top was worth the performance gains... I might have the renegade milled off in the future after my warranty is up, I didn't want to void warranty wondering if this manifold was gonna be ok//////

Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread so it would be more accessible for others that might have the same problem. Thanks for reporting back on the solution. That's what makes the forum work.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Question

Originally Posted by vettage
I found out they drilled the wrong size hole and actually it is misplaced also. I contacted them and they found that all the manifolds on the shelf were incorrect. I returned mine and meanwhile they pulled all manifolds redrilled and tapped one for me and sent it out. Mine is installed and all fits very well. Anyone who has purchased recently and has this problem should contact them and inform them their product is defective and send it back, they were very reasonable and got me another quickly. I have no complaints at all, I know mistakes happen and the follow up was good by them. The manifold was well worth the expense and labor my car has lots more power now, I was a little reluctant changing stock on my car as it only has 40k miles, original paint and is pretty much all original but the sacrifice of having the silly renegade embossed on top was worth the performance gains... I might have the renegade milled off in the future after my warranty is up, I didn't want to void warranty wondering if this manifold was gonna be ok//////
Thank you for the response today vettage. I was about to head over to my local Chevy dealer where I have friendly relationships with the parts guys and was going to hunt for a sensor that fits from their parts bins.

Did you contact DCS or Eddie Motorsports directly to get yours replaced? I bought mine from DCS's web site around April 1 and received it from Eddie in late May.

I have contacted both by e-mail (DCS ~3 weeks ago and Eddie ~2 weeks ago) crickets..... I even first complimented them both at what looks to be a great re-engineering of the cross-ram intake.

DCS pretty much says they are out of business now on their main web page. Immediately before and after I ordered, Tom promptly responded to my questions via e-mail and even had a back and forth discussion about cam selection with me. Now....nothing.

Thanks so much for following up on your original post. I have not installed the intake yet, but am just starting on port matching to my heads.

Mine is for an 84 btw. I am working on rev 2.0 of my 383 with AFR 190cc heads, so I am looking for the max I can get from the induction. Also have 2.13" throttle bodies and 90lb injectors, re-plumbed fuel system, etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Default renegade

I purchase my intake from eddie motor sports, apparently dcs is out of business, I did speak with one of the original designers of the intake and he said he thought they had worked out that problem with the sensors. If you cant get anywhere and you purchased the manifold with mastercard the purchase should be guaranteed by mastercard. call your credit card company and dispute the purchase they should reimburse your purchase and go after dcs. good luck