Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Dana 36 work....Please respond!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Default Dana 36 work....Please respond!!!

I have the D36 rearend. Its a automatic 1986. I was thinking about getting new rearend gears put in it. If I did get a different ratio gears which would mean they are new, would this help my rearend last longer and no its not being dragged and no drag radials slicks ect. Just BF goodrich street tires with a few burnouts now and then.So if I get new gears will this help it last longer or not? Also will it make it take off alot faster or what. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Dana 36 work....Please respond!!!

Well, it is difficult to answer because there are so few facts you've given. What is wrong with the rear end now? If its not badly worn, then justadjustment, new fluid, etc., might result in smooth running for ages: it could last longer than the rest of the car. If there are problems, maybe you should put in new gears, but maybe it needs more than new gears - new carrier, new bearings, etc. What is the rear end ratio now? If you change it to a numerically higher rear end ratio you will get more acceleration but poorer fuel economy, etc.

Bottom line. If it is not broken, don't fix it.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 PM

No its not broken but I would like to get the fluid changes everything checked out new gears just for better acceleration ya no....I dont care about the gas mileage its already sucky. Do you know how much it would cost to get the new gears put in basically parts plus labor.....Rough estimate. Id like to get anything I can repaired in there ya no.....Anything to improve it overall better performance and last as long as possible. Id rather fix it now then wait till im out of state and no way to get around than have it fixed/improved now and not have to worry about it...I have no idea....Stock gears in a 86......Do you have an idea of what ratio would give me the best accerlation????? Car has 125,000 miles on it.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:34 PM

The goals of "last as long as possible" and "better performance" work against each other.
A numerically higher rear axle ratiowill give faster acceleration, but will cause the engine tu run higher RPM for any given speed, and that will make the engine wear out faster.
Unless you are a drag racer your best bet probably is to stick with the stock rear end, and unless it is noisy, or has other probelems, I would leave it alone.
My 92 stick shift rear end has 137000 and is quiet & working fine.
An automatic is generally easier on the rear end than a stick shift.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:43 PM

O. Ok...Well....The block was worked on....Had to get new bearing rods in it so it should be ok for a while I suppose keep the oil changed regulary! Thanks for the informationt thought!!!

Thanks to Lee too for posting his post on here!