Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Dome lights will not shut off

Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Default Dome lights will not shut off

The dome lights will not shut off. The door and deck switches are working. The lights will shut offonce in a while but most of the time they stay on. I have gone so far as to unplug all the switches and they still stay on. Could some one please give me a hint as to what to look for.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
cwb
Default RE: Dome lights will not shut off

Welcome into the CF forums!

Not sure which lights you're referrin' to there, Paul... How 'bout the radio? Does it stay on when you get out of the vehicle and lockdown for the night?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM

All the interior lights the door lights the lights in the pillars behind the seats the lights under the dash. I will try the radio but I don't think it will shut off either. There are occasions that the lights fade out and shut off.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: Paul Spickard

All the interior lights the door lights the lights in the pillars behind the seats the lights under the dash. I will try the radio but I don't think it will shut off either. There are occasions that the lights fade out and shut off.
AHA!

This sounds like a timer fault in the computer... When you turn the motor off,interior lights come on, and accessories stay powered up, including the radio, until you pull the door handle. Or until 8 - 10 minutes have passed.

Not sure ofyour solution, but this might be the direction to go...

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 PM
cwb

Next time you shut down, and the accessories don't cut off, pull the passenger door handle to open it. See what happens

Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 PM

The radio shuts off when either door is opened but the lights stay on. Looking at the form for the C4's this same problem has been noted a couple of other times. In reviewing that, it was stated that problem was a printed curcit board a relay or a body computer. I've found the printed curcit board and had it checked out by the electronics department at work it is fine. (its just 3 diodes) I have yet for anyone to be able to tell me were the relay is. Or for that matter were the body computer resides. The car is a 93 by the way.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:30 PM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Spickard

If you have a interior bulb missing it will flash sys on the dash.
[/blockquote]

Paul, if you pulled the bulb while working on the lights-staying-on problem in your thread, you might be onto the problem there. That is, IF 'sys' can mean things other than low system voltage.

Betcha!?

The sys flashes on the dash if the bulbs are removed. I did this to keep the battery from going dead. If I replace the bulbs the sys goes away but the lights stay on most of the time. It seems to me that anything that changes the exceptable resistance in the interior curcit sets off the "sys" signal. That would explain why low voltage a change in the sound system or removing a light bulb would cause this condition. I would like to eliminate the ground causing this problem. Could someone steer me to were the grounding points are located.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

What year model is your car?

Old 07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm assuming yours is a 93 from another post. Here is a wiring diagram for a 93 interior coupe. I suspect your problem is in the central timer module, but without a Tech 2 scanner to check it , []

Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Having file upload problems. As soon as it works will upload it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dome lights will not shut off