Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Hard Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Default Hard Accelerator Pedal

I have a "hard accelerator pedal". At a stoplight, when the light turns green and i press on the pedal, it won't move and I sometimes have to tap it hard to get it to move down. If I "jiggle" the pedal, sometimes it will go down, but most times I squeal the tires, and this doesn't look, or sound, good at times. Does anyone know what the problem could be. I've check the throttle and that appears OK. Your help is appreciated.

mypetu39

Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hard Accelerator Pedal

My guess is, it could be that the thottle cable needs some attention. Either lubrication or replacement. I'd check this out right away, you don't want it to stick to the floor or for the cable to break.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 PM

Hey Starship! Mine just started doing this too. I bought some silicone spray lubricant. Any tips/hints on what/where the spraying should be done. I don't want to make a mess Never done this before...The one on my Lumina snapped a month ago[:@]

Do NOT want the same problem on my Vette

Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

It is hard to get the lubricant inside the cable. One way is to remove the throttle cable at the carb end and squirt the silicon into the end of the sheathing while holding the cable end up. You will need to work the cable back and forth to get the lube inside. The best way is to remove the cable from the car and then work the lub into the cable sheathing, holding one end up and working the cable back and forth. If you use a thin oil such as air tool oil, you can coil the cable in a coffee can and put in enough oil to cover the cable and let sit over night. The next day, work the cable back and forth several times to ensure penetration of the oil the full lenghth of the cable.

OR......purchase a new cable, be sure it is lubed, and keep the old and oiled cable for a spare.

BTW, some cables can be pulled out of their sheathing. These are a lot easier to lube.
You miht also try a graffite based lubricant. A dry graffite would not promote dirt and dust buildup, which is generally the prob.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanks Starship! I'll go with the graphite lube on the old one. Maybe just run a new one lubed. Can't hurt to have a back-up and they are not too pricey

Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Don't think it is your cable. It probably is the throttle plates sticking inside the bore either because of coking or the base throttle stop screw is out of adjustment. Take your air intake off and try to look inside your throttle bore with a light with the plates opened up and see if the bore is all coked up. You can clean it with a wire brush (bore and back side of plates) and carb spray. A little note, if you readjust base throttle stop, disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes and then after you reconnect it, drive it for a few miles to let it relearn idle. You should also do this if you clean throttle plates. One way to check is to disconnect throttle cable and manually operate throttle plates by hand to see if they are sticking.[8D]

Old 09-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hey mech259,
Thanks for pointin' this out, I never would have thought of it. I'm glad we all work together here, 'cause I'd really screw things up if I was left here alone.[]

Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I pay Uncle Sam's taxes for. LOL

Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mech259

Don't think it is your cable. It probably is the throttle plates sticking inside the bore either because of coking or the base throttle stop screw is out of adjustment. Take your air intake off and try to look inside your throttle bore with a light with the plates opened up and see if the bore is all coked up. You can clean it with a wire brush (bore and back side of plates) and carb spray. A little note, if you readjust base throttle stop, disconnect your battery for a couple of minutes and then after you reconnect it, drive it for a few miles to let it relearn idle. You should also do this if you clean throttle plates. One way to check is to disconnect throttle cable and manually operate throttle plates by hand to see if they are sticking.[8D]
I agree...and something else you can check (this happened on my first Corvette...an 03 Z06)...

The gas pedal has a "spring/wire" that allows for the pedal to move about 20 degrees back and forth. Sometimes, if this comes loos, the spring can drag against the carpet (specially if you have aftermarket Lloyd floormats) and cause some friction. I noticed mine doing that and after a few stop and goes, it literally locked at almost half throttle...needless to say, it made my heart jumped a bit. Use a mirror to look behind it just to confirm - this would be the easiest fix. If this is not the issue, move to the throttle plates