Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Default Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart

Hi folks! I don't know how many C4 droptops we've got here on the forums, but I hope someone will know the answer to this question... on the C4 convertible, there is a velcro strip for securing an internal flap of the roof assembly to the convertible frame. The portion of the velcro strip that is on the roof frame itself is coming undone... if the passengers side window is open while driving, you can see it flappin' in the breeze, and is about to let go and fall off... I do not use it anymore to secure that flap, as there is very little holding it on now and I am afraid it's going to come right off real soon here.

My concern is the proper way to re-adhere it to the roof frame. On one hand, using a glue that isn't strong enough will have no positive result, but on the other hand, what if we need to have it replaced or worked on later? My gut is telling me to use a strong epoxy, but I am worried that will result in a bond that can never be undone in the future without replacing the entire roof frame...

Comments, anyone?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Default RE: Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart

Top I have a convertible and I have problems with the side flaps by the windows. They always seem to blow open from not securing well anymore. I was thinking of some new velcro or come up with some type of clip. I'm wondering if the glue on the new velcro is strong enough. I'll check around and see what I can come up with and get back to you.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM

Thanks dude, yeh, please let me know what you find. There is some pressure on those velcro pads when that flap is secured, so I am sure the standard "glue" that comes on those velcro strips won't even last a minute... we need something a little stickier, I am just trying to figure out exactly what to use so I don't do permanent things that aren't reversible.....

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Bagpipingjake

Top I have a convertible and I have problems with the side flaps by the windows. They always seem to blow open from not securing well anymore. I was thinking of some new velcro or come up with some type of clip. I'm wondering if the glue on the new velcro is strong enough. I'll check around and see what I can come up with and get back to you.
By the way, dude, I have found on the drivers side (where the velcro strip is still secured quite well) if I push it on, then wiggle it a tiny amount, it seems to set the velcro "teeth" a little firmer into each other, and that has gotten rid of that particular problem for me. Did that make any sense?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:01 PM

Here are a couple pictures, to help illustrate the issue.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2717/C633B3FE45DD480C8EE64CD426BEC19A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2717/9F9E090461CB48F7BEB34C1E9EF0991D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2717/D08AEC7BD77C45CDA5D98ED20BFC0509.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Someone I know has suggested "Industrial Strength Velcro"... available at arts and crafts stores apparently... that might be worth a shot, I'll post results later next week, unless someone else has a better idea?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM

Hey dude I have used the velcro sold buy my local fabric store to hold down a truck bed cover , the glue on that stuf is impresive to say the least . The velcro on my drop top is doing the same as yours , someone has tryed weather strip glue but that didn't hold . I will probably scape the old ones off and get some from the fabric store ,these are wider but you can cut them down to the right size,
(waves like crazy and drives off)
Good day eh!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

3M makes an industial strength double sided tape for the marine industry and I would imagine for the auto industry as well. go to any 3M distributer in your area and see if they have it. if they don't they can get it for you. they make several kinds. it's the thin clear tape. it's real strong and will come off later with mineral spirets.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash

Hey dude I have used the velcro sold buy my local fabric store to hold down a truck bed cover , the glue on that stuf is impresive to say the least . The velcro on my drop top is doing the same as yours , someone has tryed weather strip glue but that didn't hold . I will probably scape the old ones off and get some from the fabric store ,these are wider but you can cut them down to the right size,
(waves like crazy and drives off)
Good day eh!
Good day, Hoser! This is a good idea; I will try to source this stuff out here locally... thanks my friend!!

*waves madly*

Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

3M makes an industial strength double sided tape for the marine industry and I would imagine for the auto industry as well. go to any 3M distributer in your area and see if they have it. if they don't they can get it for you. they make several kinds. it's the thin clear tape. it's real strong and will come off later with mineral spirets.
Man, that's a great idea too! We live on a small island over here, so I don't know if we have a 3M distributor close by, but I am gonna look for one! Thanks my friend!!

Quick Reply: Velcro strip for convertible roof coming apart