Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Carbon Fiber Power Duct

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Default Carbon Fiber Power Duct

Just want to know if anybody has any experience with one of these and are they worth the $300. I plan to get one of those along with a new MAF sensor and throttle body. Basicly what it comes down to is I'm trying to do anything I can to get some more power of this thing. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Carbon Fiber Power Duct

Old 11-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Power Duct

Do you drive in the rain often? If not, check out my cold air mod at http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

For about $40, you can prevent HP reduction during slow-moving and high ambient temp conditions. Another option is to open up your fog light panels, although my method provides more of a direct path of cold air to the intake filter. My Halltech Stinger intake comes with a larger-than-stock airbridge, although unless you crank up the HP of your engine, the added benefit will be fairly small. (with air bridge alone) My RWHP increased by 13 after intake (at least 10 RWHP) and exhaust (cat-back).

Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Power Duct

1) I have a power duct air bridge on my car. Looks just like the ones your left a pointer to, except it is not carbon fiber and it had no emblem on it and it definately did NOT cost anywhere near $300+. Cost about $100 and has more and smoother area for air flow than stock. Also mine is sized for a 90 mm throttle body downstream of it (although I think that is a modification my shop did). I think these provide more power -- probably only a couple of HP, but probably more only on modified engines. I got mine mostly because -- for 100$, why take the chance?

2) There are a lot of different changes you can make to the air intakes including the one Dave mentions, the Halltech. I had bad luck with one about two years ago and returned it: I think the parts of mine were wapred (would not fit anyway) and there were no instrcutions, just a cut out picture of how it fit in the car.
You can easily remove the fog lights and install breathing through there. As Dave says, this, or any, intake mod really adds minimal power unless you have a lot of mods, then it can made a difference of maybe 10-15 HP.
When my ZO6 was stock with headers as the only mod, I added a supposedly good cold air intake (Blackwing with cool air duct), It was supposed to add "up to 15 HP" but by dyno test barely made any addition: I gave it credit for 3 RWHP asyou could barely see the difference in back to back tests but the "as modified" curve was always a smidge higher, although only at high RPMS.

3) I've heard anecdotal stories that removing the rain baffles has caused some people a type of choking in rain on both Corvetes and Camaros (still, we've done it on our Camaro). I don't know the details but the vette is supposed to be susceptable to some sort of stalling when modified like this although only in extreme (driving in a hard rain) cases.