Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Question on the steering lock recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Default Question on the steering lock recall

I have a 98 with the A-4 and as far as I know the recall for the steering lock has not been done,
I know this is a dumb question but after you turn off the car and you don’t physically turn the steering wheel to "lock" it will this prevent it from locking up?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Default RE: Question on the steering lock recall

No, the pin electrically extends and locks the steering wheel whether you turn the wheel or not. I believethe dealership will install a block-off plate, free of charge. Believe me, you don't want to have a flatbed haul your car to the dealership after the actuator fails.
Get it done, ASAP!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Dave,
How can you tell if the fix from the dealer has been done already? I own a '97 coupe and am concerned about the issue also. Thanks, Grant

Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Grant,

When you turn the key to the "On" position, you should NOT hear a Bzzzzt sound coming from the actuator. The same should hold true when you turn the car off. If you hear the sound, the column lock has not been disabled.

Dave

Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info Dave. I don't hear the bzzzt when turning the car on but I sure notice it as I turn the key off. Sound like I should get it disabled. Thanks Again, Grant

Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM

I have a '99 C5 - When my sterring first locked up, a jerking back and forth of he wheel freed it which was good beacuse I was far from home. The dealer said they put in a new wiring harness and that everyhting would be fine - NOT SO - on second trip to the dealer I was told that the locking motor could not be removed because the system looked for the locking motor to tell the computer the stering was unlock. If the isgnal is not receivedn the engine turns off, which happened to me - I had to get a flat bed to get the car back to the dealer. The final solution was to remove the locking plate which the locking motor engaged to hold the wheel. With the plate out, the locking motor can tell the computer the steering is free and the engine runs but now there is no locking plate to mind up and so the steering CAN'T lock up and leave me stranded. This fix was made about a year ago and has proved very satisfactory. Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM

I, like many of you, just delt with this problem. AGAIN!! Dealer did recall and I thought all was well for a couple of years. Then I got the dreaded message AGAIN. Seems onthe first recall, they added (instead of replaced) the column bypass harness. The second time, the mechanic just removed the original harness and left the replacement in place. Everythings good again. As to tell if yours has been done, I guess if the column still locks on pre '01 models, recall has NOT been performed. Get it done ASAP because your baby will quit at the most inconvient time possible. Corvettes of Houston sells a do it yourself bypass for about$50. VERY easy to install under steering coumn.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 PM
KLR

Hello, In searching for answers on this I saw your posts and washoping for some help.
Here is my story... Have a sweet2000 Automatic C5. Been repaired for "service steering column" in 2001, 2004 & 2006....andyesterday is now the third time it was takenfora rideon aflatbedfor this same problem...I thought this nightmare was over when they removed my locking plate and installed the new harness withthe 06 recall kit. Now it doesnt physically lock-up anymore,but yesterday just afteranother non-dealer mechanicfinished a brake job and installed a new battery, thenightmare returned.It was the same @!#!X "Service Steering Column"back again!Eventhough it does not lock, the fuel is cut off and the car dies when you try to go more than 2 mph (just like the 06 recall says-word for word)!He tried to reset the codes (had the scanner too) and undo the battery again to see if that would do it. Nope. Unfortunately, the mechanic did not know what elseto do and I had no choice butthe dealer.The dealer says they can't cover it since they already did the 06 recall work on it. I called & complained to GM...they said they will see what they can find out and call me back on Friday (I called them Tuesday)! They said if I could wait it would be better not to have it fixed until they call me back. Meantime my Corvette is sitting at the dealers till then. Scary Halloween...The Nightmare Contiues! Do you think the "bypass" I have read about would help in my situation? What is the actuator fix... is that the harness the dealer already put on in 06? I am a female who knowslittle (zip actually[&o])about working on cars. Up to now I have been at the mercy of the dealer. Iam notafraid toget my hands dirty and smack a knuckle or two if it will get this nightmare overwith.Thanks for yourany help or advice, Karen (Orange County, Calif)

Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 PM

72LT1....nice ride by the way. I had a friend that had the steering lock problem a few times, and like you said it was in the most inconvenient time possible. I was really worried about this and I got the bypass from Corvettes of Houston. Thanks for the info