Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Default RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

Hi Rita
Just wondering if you ever decided which one to go with, Maybe I missed the post?

Rich

Old 09-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Default RE: RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

Hi Rich,
I decided to go with the Callaway Honker, although I haven't bought it yet. I made that decision based upon advice given in this Forum. It is more expensive, but high quality, so for me it is worth it. I will be getting a few vacation days in November and will probably wait to buy it then. Have you made any decisions? Please keep us posted, as we all benefit from one another's experience.

Take care, stay safe.
Rtia

Old 09-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Default RE: RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

Yea Rita
I think I'm leaning towards the Honker also. Probably going to pick it up here in the next few weeks. i like the fact that it relocates the MAF sensor, and heard good things about it here in the Forum too, so I think it will be the one I buy.

I'll post my thoughts here when I install it, and we'll be interested to hear the same from you when you get yours.

stay safe also

[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Default UPDATE - RE: RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

Sorry, Rich, one other thing I failed to mention: Warranty Direct AND GM Online will not cover your car with their warranty if it has a C.A.I. This presents a major problem for me, so I am trying to weigh all my options.

What do you think?
Rtia

Old 09-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Default RE: UPDATE - RE: RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**

That don't make sense, especially when the Honker is C.A.R.B. legal.
Thats definately something your going to have to consider. I know the honker isn't as easy to change as the Stinger, so you may want to consider your options here.
If your Vette has to be serviced you could simply remove the Stinger, pretty simple from what i understand, put the stock back on,and than take it in.

I know this is a pain, but having those few extra "Horses" sure would be nice.

Man! can't believe they will not cover the warranty.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Hi gorichb,
I have been looking at the same two Mods, Borla Stinger Quad Exhuast system and Callaway Honker C.A.I. and have contacted both GM online and Warrant Direct. Warranty Direct told me Borla Exhuast would be okay but not to do anything more. Due to one members positive feedback about Warranty Direct And the price of warranty.( see my update copy of Member (yellow C5) comment on Extended Warranty Thread page 2. I went with Warranty Direct 6/yr 60,000miles secure bumper to bumper for $1,741.00
Changing out the C.A.I. before taking into service would work as long as you don't have car towed in before you do the change. Then again isn't it just a visual ck by the dealer or mechanic and if they deside to report it to the warranty co?

Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey "D"
Your right I guess it would depend on the mechanic or dealer, and also what exactly is wrong with the car when you take it in, but you know the way these dealers are, and GM as that goes, it would just be like them to blame the C.A.I. on the problem. I mean can you imagine that, having your car at dealer for a dead battery, or squeaky brake, or faulty fuel sender, and I can hear them now, "Yep it's because you put that C.A.I. on your car".

Guess since your cars are still under the warranty, than it is definately something to consider, whether it's worth it or not. Myself I'll be ordering mine probably in a couple weeks, and since it's a 98 I won't have to worry about voiding the warranty.
I would just like to hear the reasoning why a C.A.I. would void the warranty.

Oh B.T.W. "D" I decided to go with the Borla Stinger on mine, and man do I love it, what a great sound!!
Think you will like yours also
Good Luck

Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 AM

Rich,
Thanks for your input. I'm not giving up on this. I agree with you, it all seems unfair and I am definitely going to checkout all my options.

Good luck to you and enjoy those HPs.
Rita

Old 09-18-2006, 02:30 AM

You GO Rita,
Let us know what you find out okay.
I haven't asked anybody about a stock top with the square cut out and a (K/N filter installed right into the stock box). Also Install screen inserts were the fog lights are. They sell this setup at West Coast Corvette
Then keep the stock top in the back of the car, If I need to get towed to the dealer, Put the stock top back on. Just how easy or difficult is that ? And is it worth the trouble. I'm not sure just how much they help air flow. Can anybody give us some Info on this. Thanks for all your help.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 AM

Hey, "D",
You know way more about cars than I do. Although, I am a real hands-on kind of person and love messing with things, I don't know that I want to take my chances with this beautiful expensive car. Besides, my husband would be so mad if I did anything to mess up my vette. He thinks I already drive too fast and that the car is fast enough now. Hmmmmm, I don't think so. Stayed tuned and I'll be looking for your report, too.

Take care, stay safe.
Rita

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RITA **did you ever decide on a CAI**