Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

"P0016" Crank Shaft Position - CamShaft Position Correlation - Bank 1

Old 06-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Default "P0016" Crank Shaft Position - CamShaft Position Correlation - Bank 1

is this a cam sensor or the crank sensor?
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Default RE: "P0016" Crank Shaft Position - CamShaft Position Correlation - Bank 1

To my knowledge there are no camshaft position sensors in any GM vehicles. The LS series engines all have crankshaft position sensors for the ignition, etc.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Default RE: "P0016" Crank Shaft Position - CamShaft Position Correlation - Bank 1

so you're saying my crank sensor is causing this? and oh Lee.. is this effecting on my car's power? (horsepower)
Thanks!~

Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 AM

I have no idea if it is affecting the power output but this is potentially a very serious code and I'd get it looked at. Hopefully it is just a loose wire to the crank position sensor but it is easy to imagine the engine not running at all if the car is reporting this error, so it if runs at all, and particularly well, I'd a bit surprised.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
cwb

I'm pretty sure as of '05, GM is using a cam sensor.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM

the code is saying the 2 sensors are not in sync.any work done around front of motor.GM has had cam sensors since the 90,s.the motor will run if cam sensors fails but no start with crank sensor out

Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Well, the aftermarket cams and timing gears I've seen for LS2s and LS3s have no magnets or other types of sensor inputs installed, and I've seen no wiring for sensors anywhere, but maybe I missed it. Unless an engine has variable timing, you only need one or the other:if the cam sprockets are dialed in they stay in sync. Certainly if and when GM goes to variable valve timing they want to be able to monitor cam position independent of the crank position.

Regardless, this is not a good error to get, particularly on a nearly new car

Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: extanker

the code is saying the 2 sensors are not in sync.any work done around front of motor.GM has had cam sensors since the 90,s.the motor will run if cam sensors fails but no start with crank sensor out
Where are they? I've taken apart a bunch of LS engines and have changed out maybe a dozen cams (sometimes several times in a day) and never noticed them.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:58 PM

timing chain cover .page 9-1188 corvette service manual 2007

Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 AM

I just checked: my C5R and Camaro engines don't have any sensors or electrical leads into the timing chain cover now, and the stock covers didn't have any leads for sensors in them, but the stock cover on an 2007 L92 (6.2 liter, 403 stock HP) engine we bought a month ago out of a wrecked Escalade with only 800 miles on it did. We've since replaced the cam, sprockets (double roller now), chain and oil pumpwith aftermarket parts and of course needed an aftermarket cover without sensors for that so it doesn't have them (or, without variable valve timing, need them). However I just took a look at the stock parts justnow and see how and where the sensors are and operate.

This is exciting because it means GM is setting up these engines for variable cam timing by using some sort of phase rotation of the cam (only reason you'd need to measure the cam to crank correlation is if you plan to vary it) as opposed to the "moving finger" rocker/cam followerapproach you see a lot of DOHC fours using. I'm going to pull the timing cover on this engine this afternoon and look at the casting and lower front engine layout and see if there is any clue to what GM intends: if it were me I'd use a small idler pulley on the timing chain that could be repositioned by a electric hydraulic controller to rotate the cam spriocket relative to the crank by +/- about 10 degrees. If that's their intended route there should be signs, and it would be welcome news for hot rodders because it would mean: a) it would work with aftermarket cams, b) you could fiddle withcam advance and retardin the ECM programming--> another area to work on for more power and driveability.

Back to the original question that started this thread, it occurs to me that this code can't be serious in that it is doing anything to power or durability (must be an electrical sensor failure) but given the car is under warranty I would have it looked at (might be more than just one sensor not functionaing well).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "P0016" Crank Shaft Position - CamShaft Position Correlation - Bank 1