Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Bad Smells

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Default Bad Smells

I have a custom 2012 C6 Vette. My car also has a custom exhaust. Over the last several months I have noticed a strange odor coming from the exhaust ever time I go into passing gear, or get on the throttle. The car has a strong sulfur smell I can even smell inside the car with the windows up. I have had the car on a lift and checked for exhaust leaks, and there are none. I also had my mechanic wrap the pipes in the rear were they come out of the back of the car. I had an emissions checked to see if maybe the catalytic converter was out, and the car passed. Anyone have any ideas about his problem?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Any Ideas???????????????

Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM

No one here ever had any problems like this ????????????????

Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 PM

64 views and not an idea????

Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM

From time to time, I get a bad smell from my stock base model '13. Dealer says they can't replicate it. My wife's '12 Tahoe does it also. I am guessing it is the Cat system.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM

On one of the other forums several people said that certain GM products over the last ten years just do not like the high sulfur gas at certain stations. A couple of folks replaced their cat system and the smell was back in two months. Just an FYI for those that my also have this problem. No solution yet! here is a video of my car.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Terry Young
I have a custom 2012 C6 Vette. My car also has a custom exhaust. Over the last several months I have noticed a strange odor coming from the exhaust ever time I go into passing gear, or get on the throttle. The car has a strong sulfur smell I can even smell inside the car with the windows up. I have had the car on a lift and checked for exhaust leaks, and there are none. I also had my mechanic wrap the pipes in the rear were they come out of the back of the car. I had an emissions checked to see if maybe the catalytic converter was out, and the car passed. Anyone have any ideas about his problem?
Check your cabin filter as well.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Terry: Curious as to how you are getting an exhaust smell in the cockpit when you are in passing gear. Even w/ my side exhausts, I've never smelled exhaust.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:57 PM

I had an '08 Duramax and it had the smell in the cab. Ended up being a leak where the header and pipe were joined. They had a recall on them. But they say they can't duplicate it on my '13 Vette or my wife's '12 Tahoe. Stinks- in more ways than one!

Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Terry Young
Well I guess you and I are the only ones with the problem. When I kick mine into passing and run up to about 100mph it stinks when I let off. I have a 2008base with the npp exhaust. Did you identify the problem?

Quick Reply: Bad Smells