Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Service ABS and Active Handling System

Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Default Service ABS and Active Handling System

I own a 2002 C5 Z06 with around 34,000 miles. I've had the car for about 9 months with no problems. This morning I started it up and the active handling and ABS lights were on. It read something like "service ABS and Service Active Handling System." I drove about 5 miles to my desination, was there for about an hour and a half, and then got back into the car. All the messages were gone. The entire time, the car drove fine. It never felt like there was anything wrong. Has anyone ever had this happen? What could it be? Should I really take it in to get looked at right away or just wait until my regular service interval? As a side note, it rained A LOT yesterday and the car was out in the rain. Could the dampness triggered those sensors? Thanks for the help!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Default RE: Service ABS and Active Handling System

Thats just C5s in general. Mine would come on for 5 months straight everytime I would drive. It has been about 3 months since it has come on at all. It could bea bad sensor or something. Also mine never drove any different that is why I never took it in. Seems to still be running great.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 PM

For what its worth.
I beleive there are many, many things that can set this message off. However, your probably on the right track when you say it rained the day before. I have had this happen to me too. Mine would come off at anytime and it would really scare the heck out of me. I bought my 2000 C5Vette used with a blower and exhaust so i thought it was something with the tune. I pulled my codes off and found it brought up a ACC and TPS code. I decided that i wanted to put a 90mm throttlebody and Intake on knowing it would be retuned afterward anyways. It turned out that I had a faulty throttlebody so the problem was fixed. It also fixed my hard starting problem after fuelling up!!??? Lucky.
Anyways, I have read another thread aboutsomeone getting the same meassage and finding it was thepower windows?? It took this person a while to find the problem. Personally I would pull the codes off and drive the car as usual. Look for anything out of the ordinary (extreme heat, moisture, even little things like tire pressures or brake dust). If it happens again you can shut your car off and restart it and that will fix it temporarely. I suspect something very minor but other people in this forum will be able to tell you more. Good Luck

Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM

It can be minor to very expensive from what I have read.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM

I'm not quite sure how to pull the codes and find what they mean. I'm assuming you guys know how to do this?? Thanks for all the help so far!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

At the top of the page they tell you how to pull the codes and they also have what most of the codes mean listed.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Mine has done this before...but it would always go away at some point....HOWEVER....last week, I noticed those lights on and even after a while of driving....and then turning the car off and going back later...the lights would still be on??? Now I am kinda worried...I have seen on here before where this happens a lot with C5s......but my ABS and AHS lights have been on for a week and a half straight. Anybody have any ideas what may cause this? I've seen on a previous post....I think it was you Dave that said it could be the EBCM, which I will plead ignorance...I don't know what that is. But in that post..."hardluck" said his lights would go off when turning the ignition off and back on....mine are staying on. I notice a code of U1064 Loss of Communications with BCM in the computer....with an "H" though......are these related? Don't know what the BCM is either/what it does......I'm wondering if it is going to require a trip to the dealer........Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Kevin and others - yes, it could very well be the EBCM. You can either buy new or contact the guy mentioned below:
New EBCMs. Below is a list of part #s and estimated prices to give you an idea of what you should pay. (Fred Beans or GMparts direct)

Part Number: 10343433
All 2003-2004: $465.58

Part Number: 12216561
All 2002: $610.16

Part Number: 12208997
All 2001: $612.80

Part Number: 9367071
All 1999-2000 w/o Control Active Brakes: $486.40

An alternative to buying a new one is to have your original rebuilt.
For EBCM repair/replace (about $150)

Call
Brandon

877-648-7530 at ABS FIXER

Kevin,

You may also have a loose wire to the door connector. It resides inside the accordian wire bundle cover that you see when you open the driver's door.

See
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1438176

Dave

Old 08-11-2007, 05:03 AM

Thanks Dave! I'll try messing with the area of the rubber boot....if that doesn't work...I'll send my EBCM in to get repaired....see if that fixes it....if not....I guess I will have to have the dealership look at it.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 AM

UPDATE: Well...I sent my EBCM to Brandon. Got it back today and installed it. Cleared the codes.....started it up...and the CHECK engine, ABS, and active handling lights are all off.....first time the ABS and AHS lights have been off in 3 weeks....so I HOPE that this fixes it for good! I am gonna drive it to work tomorrow...put some miles on her...and see what happens.....keep your fingers crossed for me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service ABS and Active Handling System