Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Did I Kill my ECM?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Default Did I Kill my ECM?

Ok I grounded the A and B terminals with a paper clipon the Diagnostics terminal under the dash to see the code the ECM is sending. The book says the check engine light will blink, or in the 86 vettes case I guess they mean the Service engine soon light.

No code was sent, now my motor cranks over Fast, strong fuel smell and no start. I pulled out the plugs and they are covered in goop ( fuel/ little oil ) im assuming that was from me cranking it over alot.so Im getting fuel, is it possible that the car is stuck in Diagnostic mode? When it is in Diagnostic mode is the spark stopped, or could I have shorted out the ingnition system in some way? To clear the ECM do I just disconnect the battery?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Default RE: Did I Kill my ECM?

hey i have had my car do the same way when i done diagnostics all i had to was disc batt and reconect and it started

Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Here is the latest find.Disconnected the battery and waitedmany times to clear the codes.Still the same thing.... cranks all day, but no ingition. Im getting plenty of fuel and I cleaned the plugs and put them back in. Even after I did the battery bit, the SES light is still on and stays on with no starting. When it cranks over the Anti-Lock light and the Parking light comes on too, andgoes off once you stop cranking it.So Im thinking the ECM didnt clear the codes, sodisconnecting the battery didnt clear it. What should I do next? and Blck86vette dont say put a piece of tape over the lightI WILL FIX THIS!!!![sm=patriot.gif]for the Glory of the USA!!!!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 PM

was just passing on the tip. It was anoying me and its because of I think the 02 sensor on my car so I am not to worried. Looks nice a black screen does.[&:]

Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 PM

hey did you check ecm fuse

Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 AM

where is the ECM fuse ? if thats the problem.......man would I be happy! but would it still crank over if that fuse is blown? and the SES light stays on even after the BATT has been disconnected.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Check your fuses, you probably blew an ECM fuse by shorting the wrong terminals together.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:30 AM

where is the ECM fuse located? and by the way!!!! those pics you sent for the vacuum leak are worth a 1000 words, we have the same set up, now I just need to know where that blasted hose goes too I love you guys!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 PM

my 93 has 2 one is in main fuse box #33 the other is a maxi fuse under hood behind batt it is #1 i hyope this helps

Old 03-17-2007, 03:34 PM

here is the scoop. The ECM is fine. I did all the test according to the GM factory manual ( disconnected the two harnesses at ECM..etc...and checked for the blinking tester light on the fuel injector harness....etc...) all ok. I pulled out aspark plugand checked the spark on the manifold. I Have Fuel, and spark. The Arc was orange yellow. So I started looking into the Air. I disconnected the TPS sensor, Throttle position Sensor and waited for the fuel to clear out of the combustion chamber. With the TPS disconnected it started up after a few cranks!!!!!!!!! So the problem is the Air, which makes alot of sense, since I can find where that vacuum leak lgoes to down at the Canister. I let it run at idle for a few mins, then took it out of the Garage.

All is great at Idle and slow accell. When you give alot of gas at one time is pops and bogs until it reached wide open. I checked the Volts to the TPS sensor and it was good...about .547 or so, and that manual says that good. I turned it off and hooked up the TPS agian.After a few mins,agian wont start. I pulled out a plug and fuel poured out of the head. So there is an Air problem...not the right mixture....Wont do you think? !!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I Kill my ECM?