Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

What should I replace my original tires with ?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Default What should I replace my original tires with ?

I own a 2003 coupe withthe original tires. I just turned 22,000 miles and see quite a bit of wear on the fronts. I'm really not that impressed with all the road noise and how quick they are wearing. Now the question, since these are run flat tires and there is no spare, what options do I have. Honestly - if I get a flat 400 miles from home, I'm going to be grounded either way - knowing no one will have a replacement in stock. Reading the magazines, they claim you would need to replace the tire - if driven flat for any length of time. I hear your conventional tires offer so much better handling, quiter ride, and longer tread wear. What is everyone else doing, when the time comes to replace the original tires ?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Default RE: What should I replace my original tires with ?

I feel your pain. It all depends on your driving style, just a cruiser, twisties, red light romps ?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 AM

I'd stick with the run flats unless you want to carry a flat repair kit like the one that comes with the Z06. Lots of tire companies now carry run flats that are better than what came original on your 04.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 AM

Consider this:

1) Many tires shops that do install/remove runflats will state quite clearly that they will NOT guarantee that your wheels won't get damaged.

2) Many shops don't work on runflats for that very reason.

3) Each non-runflat saves you up to 7 lbs of unsprung weight - that's 28 lbs!

4) Non-runflats ride so much smoother, you'll think you're in a souped up Lexus; it's incredible how much better your ride will be.

5) I've had Corvettes for almost 30 years and during that time, I've had one flat. It wasa slow leaker, so I was not even close to being stranded.

6) The Goodyear GSD3s, Michelin PS2s, and BF Goodrich KD2s are top-notch tires. Of the three, the GSD3s will last the longest, while the KD2s are the noisiests. Of course, the PS2s are the most expensive.

7) If you are low on money, the General UHPs are decent tires and are very inexpensive.

I've been running GSD3s for many years now and I am now spoiled for life! They are nothing short of incredible. Unfortunately, they have been hard to get. Discount tire did find me the rears, last Spring.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Dave01 -
Wow ! Sounds like you have this one problem resolved ! I like your analysis ! You have just made up my mind !
Thanks !

Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM

JustFlyn,

I have a small 12 volt compressor, a tire patch kit, needle nose pliers and an aluminum Mercedes jack in one of the rear compartments, but honestly, I don't expect to use them. If your tire gets a nail puncture, the leak is normally very slow - slow enough for you to get to any tire shop.

Enjoy your new tires!

Dave

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM

I have a 2008 base C6 and need new tires. Should I stay with run-flats? The OEM Goodyear run flat has not been a great tire for noise and comfort. What do others think?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM

While I don't like runflat tires, the ultimate decision is up to you.

Some good non-runflat tires for your car are:

Goodyear F1: $866/set
Continental Extreme Contact: $950/set
Hankook Ventus V12: $790/set

Source: Tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57950&tab=All

Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Dave, thank you for the quick response and I also see your past response to the same question. Really appreciate it and my first use for the Corvette Forum. Paul

Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM

I'd never buy runflats for a performance car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I replace my original tires with ?