Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

2001 6 speed clutch adjust.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Default 2001 6 speed clutch adjust.

Is there any way to adjust the clutch on one of these? With only 18,000 miles mine seems kind of rough going into gear most of the time. I realize the clutch is hydraulic so it may not be adjustable. I don't know.

Alternatively, can the clutch master cylinder become weak so that the clutch doesn't completely disengage? That could cause a roughness in shifting, I would think. Does this have a second hydraulic cylinder (like a wheel cylinder)?

The clutch engages a reasonable distance from the floor, but the engagement is almost immediate. If this isn't normal, I wonder if it's because the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Thus, it feels a though it is engaging immediately, once it does start to engage.

I bought this car a few months ago with 14,000 miles. It seems like the roughness of the shifts has gotten a bit worse, though that could be due to the colder weather and thus thicker trasmission grease.

Jim Raymond
Ft. Worth, TX

Old 10-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2001_Z51_6spd

The clutch engages a reasonable distance from the floor, but the engagement is almost immediate. If this isn't normal, I wonder if it's because the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Thus, it feels a though it is engaging immediately, once it does start to engage.
My 99 has a similar clutch feel. It's not exactly what I would cal progressive. I'm learning to live with it, but if there's a simple solution, I'm all in.

S.C.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Since the clutch is hydraulic, maybe it needs bleeding. A hydraulic clutch has a master cylinder and a slave cylinder.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Default Bleeding

If the clutch hydraulics are in good shape but has leftover air in the system, here's a possible way to get the last of the air out if that's your problem.
I have an 86 and had a residual air issue and here's how I fixed it, assuming your system is like mine.
Pump the clutch pedal 5-10 times and hold it down for around 5 minutes. At the end of the 5 minutes, slide your foot off the clutch and let it pop up on it's own. I ended up doing it twice but at the end my clutch was working perfectly.
Hope that helps if that's your issue. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Some have had luck with adjusting the shifter or changing the lube in the trans axle.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 AM

I also have a 2001 C5 with 6sp. One of the best clutches I have ever experienced on any vehicle! Low effort and very progressive engagement.

Dirt/debris from the clutch disc gets into the clutch master cylinder. And can cause trouble like you are experiencing.

Use suction at the top of the Clutch master cylinder to remove the fluid in the clutch master cylinder-you will be amazed at the amount of debris that will be in the bottom of the master cylinder. This is normal. Carefully clean out this debris from the now dry Clutch MC.

Replace the brake fluid with new brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder. Do this several times in the next several days/weeks and see if there isn't an improvement.

Last edited by phoneman91; 09-26-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Since the master cylinder is outside of the bell housing, how does clutch disc debris get in it?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
Since the master cylinder is outside of the bell housing, how does clutch disc debris get in it?
There are those that state that the natural flow of the clutch fluid causes debris/dust from the clutch disc to flow to the bottom of the MC ,via the slave cylinder,---- when the clutch pedal is released after being depressed. Disc dust collects on the operating rod of the slave cylinder from natural disc wear. And gets into the slave cylinder and it's fluid.

Check your clutch MC and see for yourself-it will surprise you. My pristine, 10k mile ,2001 C5 M6 had a layer of debris on the bottom of the clutch MC. Many think that cleaning this debris should be part of periodic maintenance on these C5 M6s.

Last edited by phoneman91; 09-27-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

So you are saying that clutch debris gets past the seal on the the slave cylinder piston rod and migrates up to the master cylinder?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
So you are saying that clutch debris gets past the seal on the the slave cylinder piston rod and migrates up to the master cylinder?
That is what some people theorize. Where else would it be coming from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 6 speed clutch adjust.