Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Clutch safety switch wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Cool Clutch safety switch wiring diagram

I looked at the clutch safety switch on my 91 convertable and do not understand it. The wires from the switch on the clutch go to a switch on the brake pedel. There are two switches on the brake pedel. The one that is connect to the clutch safety switch has a second set of three wires leading to it. I have the service manual, but this is not shown. The manual shows a standard open close switch on the clutch. Does anyone know what this clutch/brake satety circut does? Does any one have a wiring diagram? The wire a too small to lead directly to the starter solinoid. Why are there two switches on the brake? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Default Switch

The clutch safety switch is up by the pivot on the clutch, 2 wires. There is another switch lower on the pedal that disengages the cruise. Insure you're looking at the correct one (which I didn't the first 4 or 5 times I tried to check mine out).

It just breaks the circuit on the starter if the pedal isn't pressed while trying to start the car, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Default Missing the obvious

That makes all kinds of sence. The switch I am looking at connects to both the clutch and the brake pedals, either of which needs to disconnect the cruise control. I wonder if they will miss me at work if I get sick and work on my Vette? Thanks for the help hcbhp.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Default Switch

If you think the switch is bad or misadjusted, just pull the connector off the switch and jumper it and you've bypassed the switch. I had my mine apparently go bad (whether due to be bumped or whatever) when the clutch master and slave were replaced by my mechanic. When it was back together, everything was ok except when you went to start it, then the starter did nothing. When the clutch safety switch was jumpered the car would start, but remember you can now start the car in gear so be safe and insure it's in neutral before turning the key.

I did try and apparently that clutch safety switch is no longer available so you don't have a lot of options if it's bad.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Most of the switches, not all, can be taken apart and fixed. There's always there salvage yards. Also after market suppliers like Paragon.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 AM
Default Big Thanks

Thanks for all the help. The car is back together, running, and I am taking it to work today. Driving is style!!!