Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Buying 1985 vette, need some help please!

Old 06-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Default Buying 1985 vette, need some help please!

Hi, I am new to vettes, but not new to TPI engines (89 firebird) etc.

Anyways, I just wanted to know few things about the crovette.
1. The TPI engine has 110K on it and runs great, the oil preassure is at 80psi at start up. Is that right??? She idles at 750-850 RPM during warm up.
2. How are the 4-3 transmissions?? How hard is to get the first gear instead of going reverse??? It just seemed to me like sometimes I might slap it up in reverse and get ready to go forward (bad mistake).
3. The power seats dont really work. The previous owner had one of the door panels hacked up and I need to replace it. I was just wondering how hard is to wire these things.
4. How hard is the fuel pump replacement???
5 Compared to a third gen camaro/firebird how are the prices on replacement parts??? Are they pretty much equal (due to the similar set up) or are they more expensive just because its a corvette.

I am kind of on a budget and I know quite a bit on working on cars and electrical systems. However, I just don't have all the money in the world.
I plan on just tuning up this car, regular maintenance in another words keep it stock. I just need a nice driver and don't care about the little imprefections etc....

Thank you soo much for your help.

P.S. If there is anything you want me to know about the 1985 l98 vette please do. I would like to hear any suggestions, concerns, tips etc.

Thank you once again.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Default RE: Buying 1985 vette, need some help please!

Hi. Welcom to the forum. Now on to your car....

1. Thats normal to have high oil pressure on start up, also dont believe that a oil pressure gauge with 110K on it is completely accurate.
2. I guess i really dont understand the problem you were having with the tranny. They are pretty soild in my experience.
3. All of the harness on the door panel have connectors so you can remove the entire door panel, and remove any switches, lights, etc with no problem.
4. Easy. No dropping the tank.
5. You get lucky sometimes, but generally you spend $60 everytime you go to the auto parts store. Most parts are corvette specific. The good news is you can find virtually every part you would ever need....you can practically replace the entire car....but you will have to pay for it.

If your on a budget, then dont buy a vette with exitsting problems. they will be expensive, and its inevitable that new problems will come up sooner or later. make sure the tires have plenty of tread left, and the digital dash looks in good shape.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:44 AM

110K aint too much concidering that these cars can run for longer.
I am buying it from a collector who has too many cars and he just has no time for the vette. The car is sitting and it fires up immidiately and runs fine.
I was just wondering of how easy shifting is, just because it looks like the reverse is in the same position as the first gear on the 5speeds that I have driven before. Other than that the car seems fine. All the digital dash parts work fine and all the features work as well. So the vette is in good condition, and I always feel confident buying from a collector.
I gotta fix the seats, probably replace the motors in the seats. And fix that darn side panel. Other than that the car sounds/runs without a hickup.

I know third gen camaros and firebirds and I know that those L98 are stout engines that, if taken care of, can run for a looong time. I just want to keep the car stock and runing. Thats it, nothing fancy.
I guess you can say I learned my lesson the hard way.

If there are any other pointers, or info that you guys can think of let me know please.

Thanks soo much.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:00 AM

I have an 85 with the 4+3 shifting isnt a problem for me it takes a little gitting used to simply because of how close the gears are. my Girlfriend and my friends hate driving it cause there not used to the shifting. u wont have to worry about the first to reverse theres a safty swtich that prevents it from going into reverse. I agree tho this car will not be cheap when it comes to repairs. ive found that out after i have shoved much money into my 85 but i was born loving corvettes so its worth it hope u enjoy it if u get it[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-16-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi:

Welcome to the world of Corvette! Did somebody say Corvette and save money in the same sentance. As soon as you think the word Corvette, it costs money, but when they're on (working properly) they're great! Just bite the bullet and spend it.

Anyway, I had to replace the seat track in my 92 Coupe. Bought a rebuilt one from Zip products for $199.95 plus tax, put it in myself (to save money) and it works like a charm. See link below.

http://www.zip-products.com

Hope this helps and enjoy your 85!

cvette

72 Coupe - four speed
92 Coupe - Auto

Old 07-16-2006, 01:43 PM

As far as your seat repair and part availability it's pretty easy. Mine were in rough shape as far as operation, although the leather was pretty mint. One small rip in a bolster that I had repaired. I repleced the switches, lumbar pump, fittings etc. Now I have a pretty mint interior. Shop around, Mid America, Corvette Central, Davies (seemed to be the best on some items), and even ebay. If you love vettes you wont mind dumping some cash. My 90 Roadster although a challenge at times it gets great comments every time I take her out. It's my first vette (a thirty year dream come true) so stay with it and take car of the true American Sports Car. Enjoy.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-22-2006, 03:34 AM

whas up, vettes are greats cars but they can cost some times. you got ask yourself "do i really want to take a chance on a cheap part". that being said i've found contemporay corvettes #1 800 367 8388 for used and new parts. have fun with your vette man and when u see another vette don't forget to wave.