Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Replace headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Default Replace headliner

How do you take the targa top apart so you can replace the headliner?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Replace headliner

i never took it apart. Just took off the fabric(came of easy) sprayed some aresol glue from automotive store and re installed fabric. Might strech a little just trim and tuck extra under molding. Its been holding up for 5 years know!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:08 PM

I bought the fabric on ebay for $25, it came with all the instructions needed, Good Luck.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM

I threw everything out inlcuding the foam. My head kept touching. Now its just bare roof. Did you reinstall the foam or just put the felt on the bare roof. I would like to do that for that extra inch of headroom but I am wanting to install some insulator.....probably from the hardware store that is maybe 3/8 of an inch thick to help make it a quieter ride inside. Trying to inslulate everything to make it more comfortable inside for long interstate trips.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Don't use the spray glue that you buy at the auto parts store. It will stick for a while then break down. Go to a good fabric & upholestry store and but the stuff they sell, It is much stronger. But, be careful. Once you stick it together there is no moving it. So get it straight the first time.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:14 AM

The material came with a foam backing that is glued to fiber board the same shape as your roof, took about an hour. Used fabric spay as glue, jsdomino is correct you only get one chance to get it right.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 AM

i checked this morning, still have foam in place. no breaking down of glue after 5 years?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just recieved my headliner and adheasive however, it did not come with instructions. My Service Manual shows the roof panel can be pulled apart but looking at the roof panel, it looks fairly well sealed. Did your instructions show cutting the fabic to fit and tuck in or did you disassemble the roof panel?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 AM

Very carefully you can remove the headliner in one piece from the top. Mine was glued to to the top, just taked your time and work around it to pry it out. Once out remove the old liner from fiber board, clean and install the new triming after it is glued to the board.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

There is a Torx wrench that comes with the car, if not in your case, you will have to aquire one (Sears). There are 2 screws above the windshield and 2 above your head. Also, you will have to grind off the old foam backing before you apply the new headliner (BTW) the headliner is applied using any contact cement and spraying it on both surfaces and letting it dry before sticking it on the top.

Quick Reply: Replace headliner