Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 Convertible a good foundation for power? Or too much chassis flex?

Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Default C5 Convertible a good foundation for power? Or too much chassis flex?

Guys I am new and sorry if this is a repeat question. I am buying a c5. Whether hardtop, aerotop, or convertible is yet to be determined. I found a great condition and low priced c5 convertible with low miles, but I'd like to build a vehicle with some power. Nothing absurd and nothing that will be taken to the track. However, I don't want something that's gonna roll all over the road when I stomp it. Are the c5 vettes much different in chassis flex between the aero-top and convertible? Have many of you all built powerful and SAFE convertibles? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Default RE: C5 Convertible a good foundation for power? Or too much chassis flex?

Although I have a coupe, I did test-drive a convertible and they are very solid - almost as rigid as my coupe and lightyears more rigid than the C4 verts. You should have no problems with adding power.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Default RE: C5 Convertible a good foundation for power? Or too much chassis flex?

Hey Dave, thanks for your help. I am considering a convertible, I just worry about insulation, leaks, and the chassis problem. Hopefully someone else will chime in on their vert experiences.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:07 AM

I've driven all and there isn't than much difference. You have to be on the track to really notice. Aconvertible will be looser than a coupe or particularly a hardtop (the coupe has the removeable top which makes it about 1/3 convertible both in open air and in more chassis flex so its a bit looser than the hardtop.

Regardless, a convertible in good shape will give you far fewer problems all around including leaks, etc., than a coupe or hardtop in poor shape, so I'd focus on finding a car in good shape more than worry about body style. And if you want a 'vert, get one.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Mark,
Had the same concerns before moving into a roadster ... once I did I've never looked back. The rigidity that you talk of went away with the C5 ... C4 was terrible. Had a 95' C4 and 97' C5 Coupe and now own a 99' roadster. There is no comparision. Don't get me wrong all the vettes have their own great points, I'm just a convert to the convertible. My wife liked the drop top so much she went out and bought her own (albeit a BMW Z4).

But I have had no issues with it being cold (doesn't come out much in the winter though), any more noisy than my coupes, unstable or anything else. I will admit that it does leak once in awhile but only after I don't take care of the rubber. Keep it coated with the right silicone and it's just fine. I've also removed all the carpet and insulated with reflective material (for noise and heat), but so have a lot of people with coupes.

I would recommend driving both for at least 3-4 days if you're dealer will let you and then make an informed personal decision.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:43 PM

BlueLineDvr,

I must say that my C5 Convert. experiences differ from yours . I had two C5 convertibles,
a 2000 and a 2002. Both had a loud annoying wind leak where the side window and convert.
top met. This only occured at high speeds!

The top would actually lift up slightly above the glass and allow an air steam to enter. Additionally,
when I washed the cars using the solid stream setting on the garden hose nozzle, water would
enter the cabin at the top of the side windows.

The GM dealer replaced the rubber side moldings but to no avail!

I am told that the reason GM went with the new "INDEXING WINDOWS" on the C6 is because of all
the complaints about this problem on the C5. I don't know if this is factual, however, I now own a
2005 C6 Coupe and the new indexing windows do work extremely well at high speeds.
The cabin is very quiet!

I would be interested to know if the indexing windows work as well on the C6 convert. & C6 ZO6.

I am selling my '05 (see classified ad) to buy a 2006 ZO6, so I am especially interested in hearing
from you '06, ZO6 guys!

Jim