Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)

Hi ya'll I'll be building a '73 454, 4 speed coupe over the winter and I'm starting with a bare block. what do ya'll think I should do with it to make it radical. looking for opinions on all aspects and parts so lets here your best suggestions. I know I'll have to spend some money but would like to get the best bang for the buck and spend as little as possible and wisely. Should I build the engine or buy a crate engine? I'm leaning tward building it unique. I think I can build one better than a crate for the money. Cheers

Old 11-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: building a radical 454

454!!! [sm=icon_rock.gif]You're a man after my own heart. Personally, I wouldn't have a crate engine. What's in it, who built it, are all the nuts and bolts right tight. Did anybody spit in your French fries?[:'(]
If you want it done right, do it your self, then you KNOW what's in it, and if it's right or not.
People say, "oh, you can't build an engine for the price of a crate". Maybe so, but do you want some $7.00 and hour bolt buster building your engine, Hmmmm? Sorry, not me!!!

If you reeeaaally want a crate engine, build your engine, put it in a crate, load it in the back of a pickup, drive around the block, call your bud over and ask him to help you unload you new "Crate" engine.
No one need know!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

That's my feelings exactly. How many beers did he have at lunch. was it friday after a bad week or was it monday after a binge. I think with the right parts and procedures I can build a better engine. just waiting for ya'lls advice on what parts and procedures to do like how far can I punch it or what heads to use or single or duel 4 bls. let 'er ripe ya'll. I'll bet Lee has some good advice. caint wait to hear it. what are you doing to yours Dave?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hey George,
30 over on the bore, 9.5:1 pistons, steel not cast crank, heavy valve springs, port and polish, headers to sidpipes, single AFB 4 barrel (they have Huge secondaries). Lee has got me thinkin' turbo. I don't have the specs handy on the cam, but it'll lope like a Quarter Horse. Should roll out at a little over 400 HP.

How about a nice tall dual quad, that you need a periscope to see over?
I'm not goiing too tall, I want it all to fit under a L-88 hood.

I don't recommend going over, 30 or 40 over on the bore, possible over heat prob.
Dave

Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Dave, that sound like what I was thinking. punch it 30 over with forged @10-11:1 flat tops. stroked with a big forged crank, stock heads with hardend seats big SS valves and tripple springs ported and polished, roller rockers with a radical cam and a set of 650 dual feed holly's setting on a low profile intake all under the hood. big tube headers out to the existing leg burners. unless I could do more. looking for ideas. I haven't built many BBC's

Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

George,
I don't exactly know why, but I was told that 9.5:1 would allow for use of pump gas. I believe that the higher comp would cause pre ignition. Not sure!
I believe that 10 or 11:1 would use a domed piston.
Dave

Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 PM

You guys are drivin' me NUTS here, with your big block monsters!!! I gotta find a way down there, to go for a ride with you psycho's!!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

[&:]A little twisted, but ain't that what the BB's are all about? [sm=happy046.gif]
It's that extra "twist" that makes us feel alive.
[sm=roll.gif][sm=burnout.gif]

Besides, I love doing DEEP breathing exorcises!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

[&:]A little twisted, but ain't that what the BB's are all about? [sm=happy046.gif]
It's that extra "twist" that makes us feel alive.
[sm=roll.gif][sm=burnout.gif]

Besides, I love doing DEEP breathing exorcises!!!
You guys, rock, good sir. Truly, you do.

Man, I used to have a big block 390 in a 66 Galaxie I had when I was a teenager... I can still hear the idle in my head.... you just cannot beat a big block for BRUTE force! What roddin' is all about, in my books....

Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Some of my friends are at 11:1 with domed pistons and are running 93 pump gas.
They do have aluminum heads. I think this is why they can get away with it.

Quick Reply: building a radical 454, (help Lee, Mech and Bill)