Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

new '84 C4 owner, few problems!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Default new '84 C4 owner, few problems!

so i got a white 84 a couple weeks ago and ive been coming across a handful of problems with this thing already. first the ac compressor seized up and leaked refrigerant everywhere, then a freeze plug sprung a huge leak out of nowhere (what a nightmare to replace by the way). questions are, what are the average oil and coolant temperatures suppose to be in these? since i replaced the freeze plug and flushed the coolant, the coolant temp sits anywhere from 190 up to 220 when the rad. fan kicks on. oil temperature always reads low and when it does work it reads up to 190, always being lower than coolant temp. is that normal? the oil temp in comparison to the coolant temp. coolant temp always runs about 10 to 20 degrees warmer. oil pressure gauge ALWAYS reads 80, dont know if thats a sensor issue or ive got an oil pump on steriods. next, every once in a while the car pretty much does nothing when i try to start it or anything. door locks dont even work, nothing. earlier today i turned the motor off after driving it and when getting out of it the remote lock did not work (manual locks do not work either btw) and i got into it to press the lock buttons and nothing happened either. went to start the car, nothing. came back 5 minutes and it fired right up and everything worked. this has been an issue about 5 different times in the last couple weeks. it is equipped with the factory alarm and lock system. the speed gauge also does not work sometimes. its always illuminated but it sometimes will fluctuate speeds even down to zero while maintaining a speed. what would be the problem there? any input or ideas would be appreciated!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Temps sound about right, they run a bit on the hot side. if the fan is coming on it sounds like you are normal. There is a security feature on these cars that you may be encountering. If the key is not making correct contact and you try to start it, it will shut down for some period of time. I don't remember exactluy but 5 minutes or so. Check your owners manual. I had an 84 but it was a long time ago and I think it had that, I know my 87 now has it because the same thing keeps happening to me. I have learned to avoid it by being very careful when inserting the key.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

The oil pressure reading 80 usually means that the oil pressure sending unit or the connector have gone bad. It is usually the oil pressure sending unit. I have the same issue and am in the process of replacing it.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM

Finished replacing mine took 15 minutes. works like a champ now...