Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Coolant leak

Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Default Coolant leak

Well, I didn't make it a week with the new (to me) 99, and I have a coolant leak, it appears. This morning, I started the car. It was cool (for Phoenix) and the low coolant light came on for a moment. It went out shortly thereafter. I didn't see it again over the three times I started the car and drove somewhere, but I did notice the temp creeping up a bit. It hit 230. It was hot in Phoenix today, so I thought that may be a factor.

When I got home, I parked it. An hour later, I went outside for the mail, and noticed a little coolant on the ground at the right front of the car.

Let me add, that yesterday on my way home from an errand, I hit a bump in the road at a slow speed, but it was nasty. The car surely bottomed on the right front. I don't know if maybe I ruptured the coolant expansion tank, because honestly, I don't even know where it is yet. I just got the car Tuesday, and haven't had a chance to just park it in the garage and get intimate with the car.

Anyway, I'm thinking tomorrow morning I'll jack up the car a bit and have a look beneath to see what the source may be. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 AM

OK, well this morning I checked the coolant level, and it was fine. I took the car for a spin in the cooler air (about 85) and the car ran at around 190 degrees, once in a while hitting 200 or so, if I was in traffic. But on the highway, it stayed at about 190. Also, the low coolant indicator came on again this morning, but as mentioned, the level is fine. My driveway has a slight pitch, and I back the car in. I wonder if the forward tilt may cause this, in combination with a completely cold car.

ETA, I found this thread, but not by searching here. Google found it for me.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...t-warning.html

Maybe the car puked a little coolant because it was so hot yesterday, and I was in stop and go traffic for a while.

S.C.

Last edited by scottcolbath; 09-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

When you say the coolant level is fine, are you checking the overflow tank or the radiator or both?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
When you say the coolant level is fine, are you checking the overflow tank or the radiator or both?
Just the expansion tank, but you bring up a good point. I'll check the radiator in the morning.

BTW, some no good POS tapped my car today in a parking lot. No big damage, but some rubber was left on the corner of the driver's rear quarter panel, and the paint spider-webbed a bit. They didn't leave any info (shocking, I know). I was even parked in a place where I was sure nobody could manage to tap me, but I guess I underestimated the stupidity of people.

S.C.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

There also may be some trapped air in the system.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Things appear fine all around. I'm assuming the hot day, along with the tilt in the driveway led to the car puking a bit of coolant.

The car seems to be running around the same temps as other C5 owners have reported in the past (from researching other threads), so I'm calling it good for now.

S.C.