Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

86 vette, no fuel drivers side

Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Default 86 vette, no fuel drivers side

The drivers side injectors have quit firing and the car runs awful. The ignition is working on the drivers side but the exhaust manifolds are not getting hot and the car definately sounds like it's running on half it's cylinders. After looking at the wiring harness diagrams a little, it's apparent that the driver and passenger side injectors are wired together seperately. Is there a common failure area that could cause this. All I've done is check the fuses and couldn't find any of those being bad. Any suggestions???????

Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 86 vette, no fuel drivers side

1st check to make sure you have power on the injectors, key on, engine off. Unplug one of the connectors and turn key on and test with a test light to see if there is power. If there is then you have lost the quad driver in the ECM. 86 fires left bank, right bank, alternately by grounding the other side of the injectors on each side and if one bank is not firing, probably ECM took a dump. Don't buy a cheap Autozone brand, A/C delco makes a remanned cause I bought one for my 86. No longer available through the dealer. [8D]

Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 PM

well, thanks for the advice but that definately sucks!!! It happened right after daddy pulled the distributor to fix some oil leaks around the oil pressure sending units. It ran fine before but didn't afterward, even after attempting to set the timing with half the cylinders firing. I'm sure the distributor is fine or at least close but I'm wondering, are there any wires that he could've knocked loose in the process. I tried just moving the harness around with it running but it made no difference. It does seem to smooth out around 3000 rpm but I'm still convinced it's not getting fuel to the drivers side because the exhaust manifold is still touchable which is a huge difference compared to the passenger side which would obviously burn the heck out of you. ECM you say, well what do those go for??? Are there any more compatable to the cars current set-up (330 HP Goodwrench with Vortech heads, Vortech to TPI lower manifold, otherwise, running stock electronics, injectors, distributor, sensors, etc)??????????

Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 AM

you can get a noid light from autozone to see if there is pulses going to the injectors.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sandcobra164

ECM you say, well what do those go for??? Are there any more compatable to the cars current set-up (330 HP Goodwrench with Vortech heads, Vortech to TPI lower manifold, otherwise, running stock electronics, injectors, distributor, sensors, etc)??????????
If I remember right, I think it was a couple of hundred dollars. The wire loom goes directly into a harness in back of the distributor and into the firewall on the passenger side next to the evaporator core. Make sure to remove prom from old computer carefully and install carefully into new one if you have to get one !!!! Don't want to bend any of the pins on the chip. [8D]

Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

This may sound silly, but in my industry we have a saying, KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Make sure your firing order is right on the distributor and check for codes. []

Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks Mech 259,
In the Army, we also abide by the K.I.S.S. acronym but that's not the case here. I replaced the ECM and now the drivers side injectors are firing but I have a "NEW" problem. The car starts and idles decently but tries and sometimes stalls as soon as I give it some throttle. What could be causing that. I'm pretty sure it's not a vacuum leak and I have no trouble codes. The ignition is in good shape but the spark plugs indicate the car is running rich. Both sides at that. The car only has the Y-pipe on it for the time being (no cat, rear Y or mufflers). I'm sure that has something to do with the problem but it ran fine before my daddy removed the distributor to fix an oil leak from the pressure sending units. I can't see anything wired up the wrong way and all the connectors are connected. I'm just stumped at the moment and am grasping for strings. What should I look for?????????

Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like late timing. Did you disconnect the timing connector before setting timing? Brown wire with a black tracer and has a connector kinda between the master cylinder and distributor. [8D]