Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

clunk when I shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Default clunk when I shift

I have a 1979 L-48 with a automatic 3 speed. I assume it is original transmission. When I put the car into gear there is a clunk underneath and the rear end drops down some. It shifts fine going down the road.When ever I shift it manually from park to reverse or drive or 3rd to 2nd, I hear the clunk. Everything is original underneath and a few mods to the engine. I just had a tuneup done on it,(still needs some love there I think but that is a different thread) and I am idleing about 700-800 rmp. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Default RE: clunk when I shift

Sounds like a bad U-joint. I would check those first, then go from there. I recently changed my half shafts, due to bad u- joints. I coulded even press them out to change just the u-joints,the needle bearings were toast and original.so I just changed the whole half shafts to new, It made a much better job with the new Trailing arms. Good luck

Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks. I will try that. I have a Haynes manual and it looks pretty straight forward on the drive shaft. How hard are the half shafts to do? I have never done it before but I will try everything once.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Center differential support bushing!

I'd bet on it. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM

hey Batesy80, I had the samething w/ my half shaftswhen I had my '77. I found out from a old timer that if you heat up the u joint caps w/ a torch-a little- there is a factory bond like material that melts off and the cap moves easier. But in my experence now your route is better. Time is money and I'm short on both. To riley6riley, The half shaft R&R is pretty straight forward, but takes time and some patients. Good Luck

Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

Well, I just replaced the drive shaft U-joints, the half shaft u joints will wait until later in the week. Center Differential support bushing? I will figure out what that is and replace it. The half shafts do not look that hard to remove. My rear spring is one spring (looks plastic maybe some polycarb or something like that) so the bolts on the half shafts look easy to get to. Forgot to get grease so i have to wait to test the new u-joints. I went with the u-joints that you have to lube.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
pg

The differential bushing that C3Starship mentioned is here www.mamotorworks.com part # 602-812 it's cheep and easy to change. PG

Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi riley. you mentioned your idle is 700-800 rpms. im not sure but isnt this a little high and wouldnt that cause a higher clunk noise then normal when shifting from park to drive. mine idles at about 650 rpms maybe mine is a bit low.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 AM

Wow, i have the same shift (park to reverse/drive)problem with mine.

Gald to know its not incredibly uncommon

would anyone happen to know what would cause a horribly loud squeaking in arear wheel on the driver's side when ever i drive... i just can't seem to get it to stop...

Old 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

"would anyone happen to know what would cause a horribly loud squeaking in arear wheel on the driver's side when ever i drive... i just can't seem to get it to stop... "

Hmmm,.....wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: clunk when I shift