Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 1953 through 1967

Doesn't anyone work on their own cars anymore?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Cool Doesn't anyone work on their own cars anymore?

Is it just me or do a lot of car enthusiasts just drive their cars and have shops or other people work on their cars?
Is it lack of knowledge? Laziness? Have too much money? I don't get it, I guess times have changed, I'm getting older and am part of a dying breed.
I asked a simple question about spark plugs and I get views but no responses, what's up with that?
Maybe I'm just really old school because I still rebuild my own engines and do my own tune-ups.
Anybody with a C1 work on their cars?
I hope I don't offend anyone, just trying to see what kind of people are members of this forum.
I just joined this morning and was really excited, but the lack of participation by the members is unreal. I'm a member of another forum (for a different car that I have) and when you post questions there, within minutes you have 5-10 replies.
I wish someone would step up and explain what the deal is.
Just a friendly observation, please don't take me wrong.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think part of the problem is that once cars became more and more computer controlled, it limited how much DIY a person could do w/o a lot of expensive equipment such as a Tech II and a factory service manual. Personally I don't do much on my late model vehicles because of that. But I still do it all on my '73 Corvette including rebuilding the engine. I suspect you and are part of a dying breed.

Welcome to the forum.

This forum doesn't have a high degree of participation like some of the other Corvette specific ones do.

Over on our Chevrolet forum, there are a lot of people there and a good response time and includes some ASE techs.

Last edited by 73shark; 06-14-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
I think part of the problem is that once cars became more and more computer controlled, it limited how much DIY a person could do w/o a lot of expensive equipment such as a Tech II and a factory service manual. Personally I don't do much on my late model vehicles because of that. But I still do it all on my '73 Corvette including rebuilding the engine. I suspect you and are part of a dying breed.

Welcome to the forum.

This forum doesn't have a high degree of participation like some of the other Corvette specific ones do.

Over on our Chevrolet forum, there are a lot of people there and a good response time and includes some ASE techs.
Thanks for the reply! I guess you're right, I wouldn't dare touch a newer car for that reason either.
The older cars are much easier to work on, I wouldn't mind owning a new Z06 though!

Search this Thread