Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/)
-   -   Advice on 1964 purchase (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/advice-1964-purchase-6688/)

beekeeper 07-11-2007 09:25 PM

RE: Advice on 1964 purchase

the engine numbers were not stamped very well. They seemed spread out a bit. I remember the 944 part seemed like 9 4 4 and the 611 looked slightly out of line with the others so until I get it home and clean the numbers off really good, I can't be sure of anything. I'm going to get the car either way. I am just waiting for him to either find the lost pink slip or apply for a new one. He told me yesterday he is working on the problem.

I checked with the local CHP office, gave them the plate and VIN. As expected, there is nothing on file because it has not been registered in so many years. The good thing is that no previous owners have reported it stolen. I should be good once he gets a fresh title.

scottr65 07-11-2007 11:43 PM

Congarts on the acquisition! You'll have to post some "before" pictures for us when you get it home.

beekeeper 07-12-2007 12:33 AM

will do. I think it would be interesting to start a little book beginning with the shot of it in the back of the storage unit with 3 inches of dust over it and the headlights still in the open position. I'm really curious to see how the paint looks once I polish it out. I only saw one significant scratch, plus the crack in the rear by the tail pipes.

I expect it could take a few weeks for him to get the title. As it turns out, he has to clear out (sell) some furniture and other stuff just to make room to roll the car out. The timing couldn't be better because I am selling my sportfishing boat on Saturday. The money from that will pay for the car and leave me 12K to begin the resto.

I am probably gonna take CWB's advice and not do much to it for a while. I want to fix everything mechanical first and get it back on the road. Once it's reliable, I will drive it a while and get a feel for what I want to do with it. I can definitely see keeping it for many years. I can envision modifying it a little and upgrading brakes, suspension, wheels, crate motor, and 5 or 6 speed tranny. Then again, I think it would be very cool to restore it as original as I can, right down to the old drum brakes, 4 speed, old exaust system, 327 with the same old cam specs, and of course the silver blue paint. It might take a bit of driving to help me make my choice.

By the way, how do you post photos in here?

pg 07-12-2007 09:34 PM

Hi again, and congrat's on the purchase. You'll find that driving a Vette is a lot of fun. You have the right idea, drive the car for a few months and then consider what you might want to do with it.
To post a photo, Search under-How to post a photo.
Enjoy your new Vette, PG

corvette kid 08-07-2007 09:27 PM

Well first off I would like to say this is the first time on any forum, second I am really on here to sell some parts. My father passed away in January 07 and we are trying to get ready for the estate sale.
I have a64 hood (red)I would like to get rid of.
I also have a number of Fuel injection parts I would like to get rid of. (nothing major)
When I talk about injection parts most of them are from a rebuild kit my dad and a guy here in Denver used to make. Springs, diphrams, etc.
I also have the Indy 500 decals for the 78 pace car, I have only found the small ones, not the door decals, but I think I have them somewhere.
If there is any interest please email me and I will get pictures.

I reading some of these writings it has been a great trip down memory lane.
Enjoy your cars.

beekeeper 08-20-2007 10:27 AM

Okay,we finally straightened out all the paperwork mess. I picked up the car yesterday. There were quite a few mice droppings and some holes in the carpet from the mice. I pulled the seats and ripped out the old nasty carpet. I figure the first order of business should be disinfecting the interior. Hopefully I should be done with that today and can get started on getting this thing to run.

I am still at a loss to figure how this car was originally equipped. Now that I have clear access to the car, how do I figure out how the factory equipped it. I haven't really thought about what I want to do with the car but if it had unusual options, I would definitely go for more of the correct restoration. How do you figure out which of the 327's the car was built with. The original motor is gone but I am curious if it had the 250 HP motor or the 365 HP one. I can tell from the fender emblems that it is not a fuelie.

So far, the only code i have been able to decipher is the interior code of standard black.

The item which is really throwing me is whether or not it is an AC car. The is a knob on the dash stating "AIR COND PULL" but I see no vents near the doors and I can find no evidence under the hood that it ever had AC. Is this knob standard on all cars? It seems like AC would be an odd option for a convertible.

Anyways, I am going to have a million questions as I dig into this car. OnceI wiped away all the surface dirt, I can appreciate what a gorgeous car it really is. I can't see ever wanting to part with it. The paint looks like it can polish up but you can see the old blue poking up in a couple corners. There are stress cracks in lots of places but aside from that, I can't find any body damage.

beekeeper 08-20-2007 10:39 AM

Here is one of the first photos. Hopefully it comes through.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5752/F155B32E5F9046F4BEF763A3C38A9C47.jpg[/IMG]

scottr65 08-20-2007 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: beekeeper
The item which is really throwing me is whether or not it is an AC car. The is a knob on the dash stating "AIR COND PULL" but I see no vents near the doors and I can find no evidence under the hood that it ever had AC. Is this knob standard on all cars? It seems like AC would be an odd option for a convertible.
My '65 has original AC. The top two knobs would not be there if it was a non-AC car. Do you have 4 knobs or 6?

I take it back. It looks like a '64 can have AC with just 4 knobs. Here's a '64 photo from a car on ebay that has AC. Sorry, but it looks like knob counting doesn't work for '64. Do you have the verticle vent next to the center console like this picture shows?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5693/26F1D718CD6B41B3B56E543630C3C49A.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a '64 without AC, so if your knobs do not look like this then I would say that you may have had AC originally.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5693/55EBC3FDCA5945529B2B5CFE8ACF1203.jpg[/IMG]

beekeeper 08-20-2007 03:00 PM

I just checked the engine bay again and I guess I missed something. I just found the old AC evaporator in the corner. The hose going to the condenser(?) in front of the radiator is missing. The condenser, compressor, dryer, and related brackets are gone. The funny thing is that the radiator looks so original that I can't see where the condenser ever was mounted. To look at the radiator and brackets, you would think it was never equipped with ac.