Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/)
-   -   Hot start problem (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/hot-start-problem-2456/)

Joes 68 07-27-2006 12:10 PM

Hot start problem

this 68 wont start when hot unless direct connect to starter . Have replaced starter twice last time with a 3yr warranty one still no success. Mechanic tells me to keep trying starter cont believe that I have put space age foil still no help have yet to install heat shield as well any suggestions cant be the only 68 with this prob lem HELP

C3 Starship 07-27-2006 03:32 PM

RE: Hot start problem

O.K. Joe,
Hope I can help.
Heat can effect a number of things, causing expansion and warping of almost every thing in our world.
1. Battery fully charged.
2. Inspect and clean battery cables, at both ends.
If cables are corroded or frayed you won't get full power to soinoid or starter. If any dammage to cables,
replace them. This applies to either the pos. and neg. Personally if one is bad I'd replace both. they don't
cost that much and you could head off a future problem.
3. I assume that you are jumping the starter at the solinoid, This could be a sign of bad contacts in the solinoid.
When you changed the starter, did you change the solinoid too? Sometimes when you get a new starter it
doesn't come with a new solinoid mounted. The solinoid is really just a switch the allows the electricity to
flow from the battery to the starter, plus engage the starter gear. The gear may engauge and you may still
not get enough power to the starter to crank the engine.
4. Try a heat shield. If this is a new problem, I don't think the shield will help. The car didn't come with a shield
originally, as I recall, so my guess is the solinoid.

Hope this helps!

C3 Starship 08-01-2006 05:03 PM

Hey Joe,
I didn't say anything about a coolant tank (you mentioned in a PM to me), but I'm glad you were able to solve the prob with a heat shield. If a car didn't come with a shield, I find it hard to believe that it would solve the prob. Usually if it came out new, without it, I look elsewhere for a fix. As I mentioned, in my last post, I don't know if a heat shield was original on your Vette, from the factory.

mech259 08-01-2006 09:16 PM

Had similar problem on my 69 Z28. I put a gear reduction starter on it it starts wonderfully. Course, The motor is pumped up some, higher compression and whatnot. Another thing you might try is heavier battery cables. Small cables cannot carry the amperage load.

C3 Starship 08-02-2006 02:46 AM

Ya,
What you said!

Joes 68 08-05-2006 01:47 AM

Problem of hot non start solved Foil wrap over starter and selenoid and after maarket heat shield.