Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C1 & Corvette C2 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/)
-   -   Knock-off Wheel Problem (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c1-corvette-c2-16/knock-off-wheel-problem-12693/)

vdesantis 01-05-2010 12:02 PM

Knock-off Wheel Problem

I have a1966 coevette with older repro knock-off wheels; I can't get the front passenger side off using a special wrech and 5 ft. lenght of pipe...any suggestions?

partsman41 01-05-2010 03:49 PM

Probably need to put on some penetrating oil,I like PB Blaster or a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Then apply some heat to the nut,spinner whatever you call it. Maybe several heat-cool cycles with penetrating oil applications. You needn't get really crazy with the heat,don't blue the chrome or melt anything! Try to remove it while hot,should expand it a little and help.
Ron

73shark 01-15-2010 04:01 PM

I'm surprised that you aren't twisting off the studs w/ a five foot pipe. I guess that could be you're last ditch effort.

Have you tried an impact wrench?

partsman41 01-15-2010 07:34 PM

73 shark: he's got the one big nut in the center deal.
vdesantis: Have you got it off yet? Of course an impact wrench is pretty helpful in situations like this but what would it do to the nut? Do you have a wrench or socket that would let you use an impact? If the socket will work you could probably talk the local tire shop into hammering it off for you?Surely you're turning it the right way? (Please don't be offended,,these things happen!)
Of course the obvious suggestion would be"Get a TEN foot piece of pipe!"
Ron

73shark 01-16-2010 02:23 PM

So you're saying that he has the repo KOs that use the spinner that requires the lead hammer to remove? Guess I couldn't picture how he managed to get a pipe on it if that's the case. But like you said, they are left-hand threaded on one side but I don't remember which side that is. Maybe they're marked.

vdesantis 01-19-2010 07:51 AM

What I've done to remove wheel

I used a special wrench that Dennis Portka sells. It fits over the 3 spinner legs and has a 1" handle about 15" long; I put a 5' length of 1-1/4" black pipe over it and it doesn't budge. I tried 2 kinds of penetrating fluid multiple times. I drilled holes in a number of spots thru the threads that have the semi-circle for lining up the safety pin and squirted fluid in them. I used mild heat from a hand held propane torch. I know which way it threads as its marked on the nut; I removed the other 3 wheels. When I told my tire guy waht I did, he wouldn't even try; he said take it to a body shop and have them heat it with a torch. I'm ready to cut it off myself. Thanks for your help/responses!!

73shark 01-24-2010 10:40 AM

Is there anyway that you could couple an impact wrench to the spanner wrench? Sometimes just let an impact wrench hammer away at a low setting w/ break 'em loose.

vdesantis 01-26-2010 09:50 AM

Thanks but I can't think of any way to do that right now but I'll give it some more thought.