Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   1979 air conditioning (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/1979-air-conditioning-8611/)

riley6riley 01-12-2008 08:02 PM

1979 air conditioning

Own a 79 vette and the a/c needs to be switched over (no cold air) to the new stuff.What do you think about just removing it all together? I live in Virginia so it is only hot as %$## a couple months out of theyear and I would have my T-tops off anyway. Comments welcome.

78buckshot 01-12-2008 10:00 PM

RE: 1979 air conditioning

I'm in Michigan and I'll be getting my A/C working during the engine swap. These cars are just too hot for me to enjoy any city or sunny weather without the A/C. I know I have a leak, I need to repair it and replace the hoses, then I'll convert it to 134a.

pg 01-12-2008 10:39 PM

Hi again, I agree with 78buckshot, a working AC unit is a "must have" in a C-3, I had mine repaired a few years ago with the old stuff, which is getting hard to come by. It cost over $60.00 per pound and it takes 3 & 1/2 pounds so it cost a lot to get it fixed but it was well worth the price. When it stops working the next time I'd like to use the new stuff. Does anyone no what must be done to convert it over? PG.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2883/24441D2256C04E31920AD7AD4C15360B.jpg[/IMG]

Rickcusaf 01-12-2008 10:43 PM

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/prod...=BAN_CMarticle

This should help you guys out. It's the conversion kit to R134A

73shark 01-12-2008 11:13 PM

Unfortunately a conversion to R134a without abigger condensor and evaporator results in a pretty severe loss in effiency. [:@] And the stock Corvette A/C with R12 never was accused of causing frostbite. ;) If you make the switch, you will need to purge all of the old oil from the system which is incompatible with the new oil. Check with an auto A/C shop and see if they can do that with their recycler. And actually besides the O-rings, the hoses aren't good enuf for R134a. While they'll work, the R134a molecule is smaller and will gradually leak out. [:o]

The A/C is really needed when you have a moderately warm day (85-90) and it's raining and you can't open the windows. Can you spell sauna? [:@] (I know cuz when I ordered mine w/o A/C, I learned real quick. Found an undamaged system from a wreck and put it in.)

pg 01-12-2008 11:14 PM

Thanks, that was to easy, and priced right too. PG.

pg 01-12-2008 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Unfortunately a conversion to R134a without abigger condensor and evaporator results in a pretty severe loss in effiency. [:@] And the stock Corvette A/C with R12 never was accused of causing frostbite. ;) If you make the switch, you will need to purge all of the old oil from the system which is incompatible with the new oil. Check with an auto A/C shop and see if they can do that with their recycler. And actually besides the O-rings, the hoses aren't good enuf for R134a. While they'll work, the R134a molecule is smaller and will gradually leak out. [:o]

The A/C is really needed when you have a moderately warm day (85-90) and it's raining and you can't open the windows. Can you spell sauna? [:@] (I know cuz when I ordered mine w/o A/C, I learned real quick. Found an undamaged system from a wreck and put it in.)
I new that was to easy, a bigger evaporator and condensor, and better hoses, it should say " Money Pit " on the side instead of " Stingray ". Hope the old stuff holds up for a while> Thanks PG.

riley6riley 01-13-2008 04:56 AM

OK. It looks like I will convertsomeday because it is sarting to sound expensive with the new hoses, accumulator....
Rickcusuf, have you used that conversions kit? Did you go up to the a/c shop and have them vacuum it out?

Rich G. 01-13-2008 08:29 AM

Try calling Air Parts 1-877-542-8192 I got all my AC stuff from him. I was also going to convert mine to 134A and was told not to because af the lack of air flow needed to cool the condenser. This guy likes to talk about AC so I'd call and pick his brains a bit.

wrwalke 01-13-2008 09:57 AM

I used the kit from http://www.hotrodair.com last year. I posted a bunch of pictures and experiences. Not exactly plug and play, I had to fabricate a bracket and make a few little modifications to their kit, but all in all it was an easy swap. Biggest bonus is that the exchanger unit fits completely under the dash, so you get alot of room back under the hood. Their kit replaces everything, hoses, condensor, dryer, compressor, dash unit (if you want, or they can convert the old one for you), etc..

bill.