Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   1980-1982 - Stingray? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/1980-1982-stingray-14481/)

~Stingray 09-23-2011 01:21 AM

1980-1982 - Stingray?

I was having a discussion the other day with some other corvette lovers and the topic of the 1980-1982 corvettes were not stingrays was brought to the table. However, as they were still based off the original Mako Vette, there was some disagreements. So, what officially classifies corvettes as a stingray or not? Aside from the fact they don't have the Stingray emblem of course.

Thanks.

watwheel 09-23-2011 10:10 AM

The second generation (C2) production started for the 1963 model year and ended in 1967 introducing a new name, "Sting Ray". (Notice the space between the two words)

The third generation (C3)Corvette, patterned after the Mako Shark II concept car, was introduced for the 1968 model year and lasted until 1982. Styling changed subtly over the generation until 1978 for the car's 25th anniversary. The Sting Ray nameplate was not used on the 1968 model, but Chevrolet still referred to the Corvette as a Sting Ray, and 1969 (through 1976) models used the "Stingray" name as one word, without the space.
The stingray nameplate was dropped after 1976 ending 13 model years where the names Corvette, Sting Ray, and Stingray were synonymous.

I hope this clears things up for you

Mike

pg 09-23-2011 11:56 AM

Welcome!

If the 1980 you bought is the yellow one from your other post, then you bought a PRETTY Vette!

But what happened? You didn't notice there are no "Stingray" emblems on the side? LOL!

You can buy a set and stick them on if it makes you feel better but really a C3 looks beautiful with or without the emblems. This topic comes up now and then so lets see what everyone else says.

1980 facts:

Enjoy your new Vette! http://www.motorera.com/corvette/1980/vet80.htm

~Stingray 09-24-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by pg (Post 67269)
If the 1980 you bought is the yellow one from your other post, then you bought a PRETTY Vette!

But what happened? You didn't notice there are no "Stingray" emblems on the side? LOL!

http://www.motorera.com/corvette/1980/vet80.htm

I didn't buy it yet, it is being inspected today.

And yes I did notice there were no emblems, lol. I was considering putting on the emblems, but I didn't want to if this year of vette is really not a stingray. Even though as long as I knew about the car it still was. But since they dropped the badges I didn't know if something significant changed that caused it not to be a stingray, therefore making me putting on the badges, completely wrong.

~Stingray 09-25-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by hector2150 (Post 67275)
Hey guys I just bought my first vette its a 82 and the only problem I have is that it has a rough idle. Any ideas?

Hector,

For future reference you need to create another thread when changing the subject. One thread = one idea/subject. And you will also be more likely to get responses as it will be at the top of the list and not buried in another thread.

I do not know how to help you, however. Best of luck.

73shark 12-28-2011 08:01 PM

Moved Hector's post.

Bottom line on the Stingray is AFAIK, there was never any delineation made by Chevy. So I never really worried about it. With or w/o the emblem, it's still a Corvette. Mine is an L-82 but they didn't put the emblem on the hood 'til about '75. Didn't put one on mine and it's still a L-82.

FWIW, I did put the '65 FI fender emblems on the hood while I was running a '65 Rochester unit.

Texas Jim 01-09-2012 01:58 PM

The "Stingray" was dropped in 1977 when/and due to Bill Mitchell retiring, who beared a big responsibility f/ the shape and success of the deep sea fish .Chuch Jordan then took over as the head of the styling staff. In early production of the '77 model, the "Stingray" was missing on the front fender, the panel was blank. Then an extended cross flag, to match the front and rear emblems, was added to either side of the car. So '76 was the last year of the "Stingray." The unique shape of the Stingray was derived from Bill Mitchell's Stingray racer, He bought from Chevy one of two chassis' of the '63 Stingray SS racing car that appeared at the '57 12 hour Sebring race. Bill Mitchell, assisted by Larry Shinoda, built their own circuit racer which they named the Stingray. So the '63 Stingray, which was launched on September 26, 1962, was modeled after Bill Mitchell's Stingray racer.

73SHARK, Didn't afew of us discuss this topic acouple of years back?

73shark 01-09-2012 08:18 PM

This topic comes up every few years in all the Corvette forums that I frequent.

Good to see you're still around. Haven't heard from Starship for awhile.

Have a Happy New Year.

C3 Starship 01-10-2012 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 67555)
This topic comes up every few years in all the Corvette forums that I frequent.

Good to see you're still around. Haven't heard from Starship for awhile.

Have a Happy New Year.

I'm still around and monitoring for "undesirables". LOL
IMHO, if it didn't come with a "Stingray/Sting Ray" badge, it isn't, technicly.
I guess it's a matter of personal choice. You can call your Vette anything ya want.
Mine is a "Glass Back", I call it a "Fast Back".

Texas Jim 01-10-2012 10:59 AM

Shark, Thanks. Didn't know if you'd remember me. I went through a divorce about a year and a half ago, best thing that ever happened, and moved back into my house that I had prior to being married, Thank God f/ my "paid for" house, as it's doing me great justice after renting it f/ 15 years plus. My ex-wife tried to get my Corvette in the divorce, but I quickly put a stop to that. I paid cash f/ that car w/ "my money" and there was no way that I was going to give it up. In the past year, I installed an Air Gap Edelbrock intake and long tube Headman headers on it. I had removed all the smog devices afew years prior and installed a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb. After installing the intake and headers, the car ran a thousand times better. Ofcourse the 8.5 to 1 compression ratio does the engine no justice, and hopefully in the next year I can build a 383 f/ it, something I've been wanting to do f/ quite awhile. Anyway, thank God I still have my "one owner" 'Vette. It's still in great shape and I still enjoy it like I did when I first bought it. I think that you guys have been into the "'Vette" game awhile longer than I have. Although I've built many Chevy engines, among many others, in the past 35 plus years, I only bought my 'Vette in early 2005. but have researched Corvettes f/ years and years along w/ my brother owning afew and the two of us doing extensive work on them.
It's great seeing and hearing from you two guys, and I'll be frequenting the site more often. Happy New Year to you guys also. See U soon.