Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   1981 corvette help (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/1981-corvette-help-14645/)

73shark 02-23-2012 09:03 PM

Plus a GM crate engine comes w/ a warranty.

rm1sner 02-23-2012 10:14 PM

Got ya, turns out the car has 40690 original miles....found all the paperwork in the cubby hole behind the passenger seat. I think I might keep it original now :)

partsman41 02-24-2012 01:11 PM

This will probably sound like a sales pitch. For about what you would have spent on yours,you could buy my 79 with most of the work already done! You get the "shark" look,and aren't hacking up a collector car. Decent power,super handling and the chance to make it look like your dream!
Check out the "For sale" forum.

wrench grunt 02-25-2012 10:50 PM

Partsman your right on the money.

rm1sner if your not to concerned with parts matching and want more power that is your best bet. Those original Corvette ''power plants'' from the late 70s did not do the Corvettte justice anyways.
With the more cost effective price and performance of after market heads on the market today you may want to try a set. Although be aware you may blow out your rings on a high mileage engine;path of least resistence always prevails.

Gohot 03-16-2012 08:43 AM

It seems you just got this C3 and feel you shouldn't have. You'r ready to unload it as quick as possible. Your other post indicates that. Slow down and asess what you have and the cost to get it right. I wouldn't be concerned about horsepower on paper. How does it feel while driving? Can cosmetics be added cost effectively? Then would you consider keeping it? It sounds like it was an impulse buy. Well you'v learned from it, now is selling for profit your goal? You will find yourself doing cosmetics to up it's appeal so that you can ask more than you paid or at least break even. If not, you should expect to leave ownership around where you entered $ wise.

rm1sner 03-17-2012 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gohot (Post 67789)
It seems you just got this C3 and feel you shouldn't have. You'r ready to unload it as quick as possible. Your other post indicates that. Slow down and asess what you have and the cost to get it right. I wouldn't be concerned about horsepower on paper. How does it feel while driving? Can cosmetics be added cost effectively? Then would you consider keeping it? It sounds like it was an impulse buy. Well you'v learned from it, now is selling for profit your goal? You will find yourself doing cosmetics to up it's appeal so that you can ask more than you paid or at least break even. If not, you should expect to leave ownership around where you entered $ wise.

Actually I've been doing this for a while trading, selling and buying...and it's perfect mechanically just stock though. It's basically a profit thing for me now, have a couple people looking at it for 7500

Gohot 04-13-2012 05:41 AM

I can relate, I to have been trading. My C3 came in at 6K and if I put another $500 in it, I expect to loose it at about 7.5K. Good luck with yours.;)