Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

ADVISE ON STORING VET FOR WINTER

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Default ADVISE ON STORING VET FOR WINTER

Since I don't have anymore garage space and I don't want to leave my 74 outside covered for the winter I will be keeping it in someones barn for the winter.
I was think about buying one of those car bags they claim are mouse and moisture proof.
Besides putting stablizer in the tank is there anything else I need to do.
It will be stored for approx 6 months
Schoon

Old 09-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Default RE: ADVISE ON STORING VET FOR WINTER

Car bags are good, but don't forget to put in one of those little buckets of dehumidifier... the ones they make for boats work great. Personally, I just use a decent (flannel lined) cover with bungees on the corners to keep it snug. Definitely throw some protecting wax/polish/etc. on the body and chrome. Definitely throw some good leather conditioner on the seats (if you have leather). Definitely use a good treatment on the dash and plastic pieces as well. Temperature and humidity changes (swelling/shrinking of pieces and joints) can make wierd things appear over the winter, like bubbles of rust on chrome, oxidation on plastic, etc.. Moisture around stress cracks can make them grow and split as the moisture seeps in and freezes...

bill.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Bill,
Do you keep yours outside or inside.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM
pg

Hi Schoon, if you go to the top of the main page and hit "Search" and type in storage, you'll get lots of help, PG

Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Drive it down here to New Mexico.Can just leave it outside-no problem! Tellyou something though, Iwas back in July visiting my family. MY mom bough a Subaru Outback new in 2002. had not seen it since then. Most cars back in that kind of weather go to crap after a few years.

Darn thing looked as if it came off the show room 5 years later and no garage!. I recall growing up, cars did not last 4-5 years before all the rust showed up. new undercoating i guess does wonders.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Points I'd like to add. Some mouse or rat bait under the hood, jack stands to get the tires off the ground, and rags in the exhaust pipes to stop moisture creep.
And change your oil, oil and air filters, and cover it to keep the dust off. If ya use a cover, crack the windows a little so the car can breath. It'll smell better next spring.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Rub some clear brake fluid on the side walls of the tires, inside and out, to keep them from drying out, once you have it on blocks and let some of the air out as well.

How long will it be stored?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 AM

It will be stored for 6 months.
What about pulling the plugs etc. ?
I was thinking if there was a nice day or 2 during the winter and no salt on the roads I might fire it up and cruise a little. I would think this would help the car stay in better shape.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Don't pull the plugs, ya want to keep the engine sealed. Ya might want to at least start 'er once in a while to keep fluidscoating the internals, also helps with keeping gaskets and seals from dryin' out. Oh ya, disconnect the bat., you can alwasy hook it back up for a little run time.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 PM

I also put a trickle charger on my battery. It keeps it from going dead.

Quick Reply: ADVISE ON STORING VET FOR WINTER