Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Baby's got new shoes (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/babys-got-new-shoes-8755/)

DeeVeeEight 01-29-2008 05:14 PM

Baby's got new shoes

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the old ones

Attachment 2041

Attachment 2042

And here's the new ones

Attachment 2043

Attachment 2044

Attachment 2045

Opinions are welcome!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

1974corvetteowner 01-29-2008 07:34 PM

RE: Baby's got new shoes

Very nice they look great

C3 Starship 01-29-2008 08:13 PM

I like the new shoes,;) what did ya do to or with the rims? :eek:

73shark 01-29-2008 08:55 PM

I like them but I'm not impartial since I've got a set of natural American Racing Vectors. That is what you have, right? Look like 15X8.5" ones, black like the Buick Grand Nationals. Theirs were 7" tho.

DeeVeeEight 01-29-2008 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

I like the new shoes,;) what did ya do to or with the rims? :eek:
I started with a set of used American Racing Vector 15" x 8.5" rims. They were spotted and stained, but otherwise in good condition.

Attachment 2038

I cleaned them real good a few times with some degreasers and solvents. I tried like hell to get the spots out of them but I had no luck, so I went to the auto parts store and got some Duplicolor etching primer, somesemi gloss black wheel paint and some high temperature clear coat paint. I also sanded the outer rims with some medium and progressively finer sandpapers to a nice polish, this helped to minimize some of the minor curb rash marks on the rims. Everything got a coat of clear when it was finished including the polished outer rims. Iinstallednew center caps from Massey's Accessories, I posted earlier about them providing good customer service. I alsoinstalled new lug nuts purchased at the local auto parts store.

The old rims are going into storage. If I ever get serious enough about going to the drag strip, I will purchase a pair of Drag Radials and mount them on the old rims, then I can bolt them on for a day at the races and take them off when I am done.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

blueshark 01-29-2008 10:25 PM

Lookin' goooood! Love theDV8'tion of the rims.My '73 has a set of old Crager SS that I'm gonna do that to. Great lookin' ride DV8...It's been DV8'ted! Cheers

pg 01-29-2008 10:32 PM

You really improved the looks, well done. The original whells looked good, the new ones look great! PG.

Rich G. 01-29-2008 10:59 PM

That thing looks fast standing still now!

73shark 01-30-2008 04:36 PM

They look good. If you're interested, the L-82 crossed flags valve cover emblem fits nicely on the center caps. :)

Did you consider leaving the ribs bare polished alum.?

What size are the BFG T/As? Do you still have them?

FYI, Espree makes (or at least they used to)a bare alum. cleaner that contains phosphoric acid and that's what I use. Don't know if that would have helped yours tho.

jarrah_12 01-30-2008 05:19 PM

DeeVeeEight nice wheels , :) I'm planning to go tomorrow to checkforgood shoes :D