Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

A/C

Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Default A/C

I got the drive line done on the 72 and now I'm working on the engine compartment before I drop the body back on. The car had A/C but when I got it the comp. and cond. were gone. I'm sure the drier and both valves are shot by now leaving me to replace just about everything. It's not a numbers matching one of a kind so I'm not to concerned about being original but its got to work and look good also. Any suggestions out there on options. I've read a little about Classic air on there conversions but would like to see one first. I'll be strolling through Carlisle in Aug. to check some venders out also.I'm also missing the compressor brackets for a big block. If anyone has a set and would like to sell them let me know. I see they make repro brackets. Anybody hear any pros or cons about them?
Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Default RE: A/C

Hi Rich, I don't have much info to give you but I'll be going through the same thing, mine has all of the components but when I pressure tested the system I could hear a substantial leak near the evaporator. I'll wait 'till I pull the motor to update the A/C just 'cause it looks like it's going to be tough to get to the evap. and accumulator/dryer. Depending on what I find at that point I'll probably order parts from one or more of the major catalogues. I can't help you with any big block mounting brackets, the last 454 I pulled out and sold had the mounts intact and went with the motor.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not much help here either but there is a thread here somewhere that outlines the conversion with "Classic Air". Do a search for that and you will find a lot of great info and pictures to boot. Good luck with it. Cheers

Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Yeah, that was probably mine. I used the kit from http://www.hotrodair.com . I'll have my toy up in Carlisle if you want to check it out. It wasn't quite plug and play, but considering all the changes to the firewalls, manifolds, etc. through the years on the C3's, it was pretty easy. I think the total pricetag was around $1300 or so (including the new controls).

bill.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

I'll wait 'till I pull the motor to update the A/C just 'cause it looks like it's going to be tough to get to the evap. and accumulator/dryer.
Believe it or not, you can pull the evap and dryer without pulling engine. I know because I installed factory air in mine.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info 73shark, motor's comin' out anyway 'cause I'm droppin' in a stroker but it's good to know I can get to it when needed.

Search this Thread