Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Bushing and grommet replacement (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/bushing-grommet-replacement-8705/)

Rickcusaf 01-23-2008 04:59 PM

Bushing and grommet replacement

I've been trying to find a site that documents how to go about replacing all the bushings and grommets for my 76. All the old rubber is worn and I bought a full replacement kit. My haynes doesn't have a ton of info on it.

78buckshot 01-23-2008 05:07 PM

RE: Bushing and grommet replacement

Hi Rick, what kit(s) did you buy? suspension bushings, body mounts, body seals such as door and window gaskets? I've done the complete suspension on mine with a mixture of rubber and urethane, I've also replaced all of the body mounts with new rubber and hardware.

Rickcusaf 01-23-2008 07:51 PM

I bought a full set of bushings, grommets, and the mounts.

78buckshot 01-23-2008 08:22 PM

I didn't use any books or manuals, a few diagrams from the mail order supplier catalogues were of some help. Like quite a few of the other members, I've been wrenching on one thing or another most of my life and it sorta' second nature to figure out how something comes apart and goes back together. I think thats where I get allot of the pleasure of workin' on stuff. Anyway, just tackle one area at a time. One winter I gutted the interior, replaced the body mounts and re-installed the interior with new carpet and what ever else needed attention. Last winter I started with the rear suspension 'cause I figured it would be the most difficult and finished up with the front end, the front was a real job with the A-arm bushings but now everything is new and tight. This winter is the real fun, buildin' a new motor. The nice part about doing it in smaller steps is that I can drive it in between projects, works for me.

pg 01-23-2008 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 78buckshot

I didn't use any books or manuals, a few diagrams from the mail order supplier catalogues were of some help. Like quite a few of the other members, I've been wrenching on one thing or another most of my life and it sorta' second nature to figure out how something comes apart and goes back together. I think thats where I get allot of the pleasure of workin' on stuff. Anyway, just tackle one area at a time. One winter I gutted the interior, replaced the body mounts and re-installed the interior with new carpet and what ever else needed attention. Last winter I started with the rear suspension 'cause I figured it would be the most difficult and finished up with the front end, the front was a real job with the A-arm bushings but now everything is new and tight. This winter is the real fun, buildin' a new motor. The nice part about doing it in smaller steps is that I can drive it in between projects, works for me.
I agree, fix some thing and drive it for a while, then fix some thing else, seems like more fun that way. PG.

73shark 01-23-2008 11:47 PM

A Corvette Service Manual is your friend. I gota Haynes once thinking it would supplement the svc man. What a joke. Might as well got a Chiltons. I'll grant you that the svc man. isn't perfect but I haven't found anything better. An assembly manual is a big help sometimes.

Texas Jim 01-24-2008 01:09 PM

Rickc & 78 buckshot,
What was the cost of a complete set of bushings and gromets? If you could just give me a good ballpark figure. And what company did you buy from? Any other parts specifics, like type of material,you can give me would be appreciated. (I really need to tare into mine. I needed to do something with the rear suspension when we first got back here to Texas in Sept. '07, but with getting our house back together after being gone for six years and trying to get my other property ready to open a food place this year, I've had my hands full. The car only goes about three miles four times a week at 30mph, on Post and back.) Thanks so much.

watwheel 01-24-2008 02:27 PM

Found these -

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050g~Z5Z5Z5AAVVI~ P209.95~~~~S2A80X0UJC19820812180b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5000 0050G

78buckshot 01-24-2008 05:57 PM

Texas Jim, I didn't buy one complete kit. The body mount kit I used was with rubber mounts, you can get poly but you'll get a harsher ride, I paid $140 for that from Corvette Central. The suspension hard parts and soft parts I bought from different suppliers, most of the bushings came from Corvette America, adjustable strut rods, rear susp. hardware kit and rear cross-member bushings came from Mid America. All together with minor misc. paint and hardware I have $1000 in parts for suspension, steering, body mounts. I also use Paragon Reproductions allot 'cuase they're close to the house and have some hard to find goodies, birdcage repair and steel body mounts came from them, another couple hundred bucks. Let me know if you want more specifics, I can break it down more.

Texas Jim 01-28-2008 02:09 PM

wat & '78,
Thanks for the info. As I figured prior to asking any questions or checking out prices and companies, the rear suspensin parts aren't terribly expensive. I'm only looking for the stock levelreplacement parts, but no junk.
I do like the idea of adjustable strut rods and parts123.com looks like a good site for NOT just Corvette parts.
Thanks again.