Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   A/C not working 1979 Corvette (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/c-not-working-1979-corvette-2760/)

Nishioka79 08-21-2006 12:52 AM

A/C not working 1979 Corvette

I bought this mostly restored '79 corvette. There are only a few things wrong.

1) A/C doesn't work at all! Won't blow, turn on etc. What should I check first. If it helps the temperature lever won't even stay all the way to the left, pops to the right a little. Fuse box is also fine.

2) The left headlight when turned on won't pop up all the way and is slower to rise than the right.
Any ideas? Not really sure where to start.

Rydin Dirty 08-22-2006 04:26 AM

RE: A/C not working 1979 Corvette

Ok now u have to be a little bit more specific with the a/c. Does the fan blow at all? if it does and its just blowing out normal air not cold then its not ur fan if it isn't check that first. If the a/c just isn't working check to see if ur compressor is grounded cause if its not it will not turn on. If u turn on ur a/c and ur car idle doesn't go down a little bit then its not working. 3 things check the ground check the pressure check the pipes when the car is on with the ac on. If the pipes arent cold its not turning on at all. Also a big thing with thoes ac compressors is that even if u put the refrigerent in it will not turn on if the right amount isn't in there. The pressure from the refrigerent sets of the mechanism in the compressor and allows it to run.

now headlights thats just a vacume problem check the hoses. They have to be replaced pretty often about every, 3 to five years they have to be changed because they crack and spring leaks very easily. Doesn't sound like u need a new vacume for it just yet.

Nishioka79 08-23-2006 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the info. So far I can tell you the a/c doesn't even turn on. We have replaced the relay, checked the fuses. Now, maybe it could be the compressor not being grounded. I will definately check the refrigerant too. The fan doesn't blow at all. I will get back to you and thanks so much.

78protour 08-25-2006 02:51 AM

You need to check the blower motor to see if it even spins with direct +12V applied to it first. If it spins okay, then check/replace the AC blower relay. Next, inspect the blower motor resistor and make sure the resistor coils aren't burnt or touching. Next, check to make sure your switch on the climate control is functioning properly. With the switch still connected but hanging out, use a test light to verify that power is applied with each speed selection. That sums up the blower motor. The AC can be a whole 'nother ball of wax. Is it still R-12? R-134 retro-fitted? -gmachinz