Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Crate Engine for '75 Stingray

Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Default Crate Engine for '75 Stingray

Hi Folks,

I just joined here this evening, and I have a question for you.

We have a 1975 Corvette Stingray. I'm in the process of restoration and I need to get an engine for it. I'm not worried about "original" as we plan to keep it forever (well, my wife plans to keep it)... I've been looking at the GM crate engines and I'm trying to pick one that will work well. I want some power (more than the crap stock engine), but nothing excessive. I am leaning toward the 350/290 hp crate engine. But, I figured I'd post to see if anyone else has any other suggestions.

Also, is there a site where I can go look at which crate engines will fit under the hood without modifications.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Default RE: Crate Engine for '75 Stingray

Generally, once installed in a car, crate engines produce a bit less than their rating. A 290 Hp crate engine probably puts out the equivalent of 265-275 HP as compared to the original rating of your car, a very noticeable amount more. It will be a nice car, and that is a stone-reliable engine.

A ZZ350 355 Hp crate engine will give you even more performance if you want to go that way -- that is a great engine, too,and your car will really be transformed -- but that is about as far you should go unless you plan to spend a good deal on reinforcement and renewal of the whole drivetrain: it's a 32 year old car that was never intended for power levels that great, so expect some problems even with 350 HP. .

Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks Lee. It is "her" car and she is not as interested in power and speed as I am... I will probably just get the 350/290 hp for it... We will have her car for style and mine for speed... Thanks!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 PM

My $.02 on this one. For the money, the 350/330, or the lower end ZZ motors aren't far from the 250/290. Best bang for the buck is what you are looking for. Don't forget torque either. Stop light to stop light, torque is what grabs the seat of your pants.

bill.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know about a site for hood clearance, but if you go with the stock manifold, you should be OK. If not, then you can get a filter base that drops down lower than the stock one which will lower the top of the filter.

FYI, I use a 3" tall filter which is about 1" taller than stock with no clearance issues. Stock Q-jet and manifold. If you go for aftermarket manifold &/or carb, the mfg may be able to give you some help.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Of course, you could change hoods. I'm goin' with an L-88 hood to get the clearance I need.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM

I dropped a ZZ4 385HP crate motor in my 69 Camaro.
It's been 2 years now and love every minute of it.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 AM
pg

A "Tall" filter, that sounds like it could work. Can you tell me what filter that is?
Thanks PG.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 AM

if the current motor in the car is the original matching numbers motor i would lean towards a rebuild. if not anything is possible, just depends on how much you want to spend. just my .02.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Well if every one is putting in thier $0.02 worth here is mine also.Welcome to the forum.Since you are not concerned about matching numbers then get the best horsepwer for your dollar.You will be much happier in the long run and she may even let you drive it once in a while.Like Dave says go to an L88 hood for more clearance if you like the look of the hood.Personally I love the look of the big block hoods they give the car some attitude.The car is the for you to do it the way you (and the wife,since it will be hers) want it. Most of all have fun and enjoy the car. Oh ya, years agoa buddyof mine had a monza spider, he dropped in a done up LT1 and a 4speed. He had a hard time getting it away from his wife to take it for a ride.She just loved it and she left alot of cars in the smoke.Talk at ya later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crate Engine for '75 Stingray