Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Distributor oil leak (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/distributor-oil-leak-9319/)

DeeVeeEight 04-10-2008 07:18 PM

Distributor oil leak

I have a persisitent oil leak at the base of my distributor at the intake manifold. My mechanic has replaced the gasket twice now and I am still getting a leak. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a remedy?
Thanks!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

73shark 04-10-2008 07:37 PM

RE: Distributor oil leak

Are you positive it's the gasket leaking and not maybe a crack either in the manifold or dist. housing? I've never had the problem.

pg 04-10-2008 09:59 PM

Could a valve cover gasket leak and you only see it near the distributor? PG.

Rich G. 04-10-2008 11:27 PM

Have you always had the leak. If you are sure it's coming from the dist base does the dist. sit all the way down on the manifold flat. I have seen some aluminium manifolds that weren't cut flat and the dist sat flat on one side and a gap on the other. Also some aftermarket dist. that were a bit to long. If thats the case you can try putting 2 gaskets on. I read some where about using spray on powder to find oil leaks. Spray the powder all around the area you think is leaking ( it's regular body powder) take it for a short spin and see the oil trail in the powder. I never tried it but it makes sense.

78buckshot 04-11-2008 05:04 AM

Hey DV8, is your PCV system working OK?, if the crankcase isn't in a slight negative pressure you'll have more minor leaks than normal. I have not had a leak from that area from any of my Chevy's. I agree with the rest of the guy's, oh, one more item, if the oil pump drive shaft is too long for the application then the distributor won't clamp down tight to the manifold.

extanker 04-11-2008 07:17 AM

ive worked on 265,s to 400 cid and cant recall ever having a dist leak,like the others said check flatness of bases,make sure its not the oil sending unit,or rear intake seal. you may try RTV sealer with the gasket,just set the timing quick then shut it off for 24 hrs

DeeVeeEight 04-11-2008 11:02 AM

I think I am going to try some teflon tape on it next.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

C3 Starship 04-12-2008 09:45 AM

Ya might try setting the dist in place, without the gasket,and run a feeler guage around the seat to see if ya have any major gaps. :eek:

DeeVeeEight 04-12-2008 10:51 AM

Well, I took her back to my mechanic and he is going to "do it again" this time he is going to check for uneven mating surfaces and the like. I swear, everything on this car has to be done multiple times before it is done right!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

C3 Starship 04-12-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: DeeVeeEight

Well, I took her back to my mechanic and he is going to "do it again" this time he is going to check for uneven mating surfaces and the like. I swear, everything on this car has to be done multiple times before it is done right!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
This too will pass, Grasshopper.........[sm=hail.gif]( :D)
I bet cha jus cain't wait fur da nex chalunge, eh?:eek:

To me, it's kinda like a game of Chess. Use your stratgy to pursue the opponantin a calculatedplan of atack. Be aware of the opponant's ability for counter moves. Checkmate is when you're on the road. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

( your opponant may restart the game at any time, and without notice )

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]