Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Doors lock problems (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/doors-lock-problems-7934/)

slinger368 10-17-2007 08:55 PM

Doors lock problems

Hello C3 Nation!!!

I'm new to the club and working on a Custom '80. Now my doors won't open. I bought the car and the previous owner didn't have a door key. All I have is the remote. It seems like the doors won't unlock even when I hit the switch inside or pull the knob. Anyone ever have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks,

Lou

[IMG]local://upfiles/6555/82E402727F814EEB88A3FB931CDF0AAA.jpg[/IMG]

blueshark 10-18-2007 12:08 AM

RE: Doors lock problems

welcome to the boards. Nice looking car, do you have any more pictures. Don't forget the wave.

Do the locks make any noise when you push the remote? you may have to get a lock jimmy or call a lock smith. They both can work wonders. You may have a power feed problem. Can you trace the wires from the doors back under the dash. if the t tops are still off lof course like in the picture. if you are completely locked out a lock smith is the best bet. Good luck with it. Cheers

C3 Starship 10-18-2007 07:11 AM

Welcome to CF! :)
Dang, that's a fine lookin' C3 ya have there. ;)
I'm afraid Blueshark is right, a lock smith is your best bet at this point.
So, is it both doors that won't unlock with the knob?
My first guess is to check your fuses. Other than that, I figure the prob may be internal door mechanical. You'll have to pull the door panels to get at the lock mech.

Phill 10-18-2007 06:53 PM

if you have an assembly manual or repair manual you can view the lock assemblyand maybe nowing where everything is you may be able to open it with a slim-jim. nice looking vette and welcome to CF.good luck.

slinger368 10-18-2007 07:30 PM

Thanks much guys!!

It's both doors, but I've been able to get into each of them at different times. I think it's the internals, possibly both actuators, but was looking for other C3 owner'sinput. The car stays in my garage, so I take the T-Top off when I want to climb in. But, being 27 years old, I don't know how the previous owners stored it. I wasn't sure if it was a common thing or not. They both move when I hit the remote or reach in and toggle the door lock switch, but they don't look like they are releasing enough. It's almost like the door handles are stuck keeping the locks from unlocking.

I've got a couple more pics I'll post later. She looks and sounds great from about 30 feet, but she's got issues that need to be addressed.

Thanks again,

C3 Starship 10-18-2007 07:58 PM

Ya might try some liquid grafite, and work it into the mechanics. WD-40 works well, but grafite is long term and lubes very well.

slinger368 10-18-2007 09:37 PM

Here are a couple more pictures of my toy. Don't let the L-82 emblems fool you. 275 40R 17 all around on '89 stock rims. I want to throw a 375 - 400 hp stroker in it over the winter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6555/3E481231AE9B4B34B5AB29609C6063EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6555/A271DA527490469CBC1B9B16F8502EAD.jpg[/IMG]

blueshark 10-18-2007 09:47 PM

Yaaaaaaaaahhhh baby! that's a nice lookin' vette.

C3 Starship 10-18-2007 10:47 PM

Oh ya,......very nice! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

classicguy714 10-19-2007 08:37 PM

Welcome to CF Slinger368
I have had the same problem with my 82 and has reoccurred on occasion. Start by checking your switches for the door lock sometimes one can be sticky and not go all the way back to center causing it to power the system to one side the other switch will still cause it to jump but not let go to the other side hope you understand want I am saying there. If not, your going to have remove the door panels to check the actuators and the mechanisms. A little lubrication of the joint might do the trick if your lucky make sure you get all the joints it kind of flimsy system. If that doesn’t work unhook the arm from the actuator and then check to see if the actuators are working properly by actuating up and down. If there not working properly on seam kind of week the fairly in expensive at and most parts houses carry them. move the lock back and forth as well should move fairly smooth this is good time to lubricate. Hope this helps a little as you look at it and see how it works it will all come together.:)