Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Engine "chugging" (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/engine-%22chugging%22-7522/)

cyclic hardover 09-03-2007 06:21 PM

Engine "chugging"

I would like to ask an engine question here that has been bugging me for a few years and the possible cause. I won't blame the moderator for shutting it off here. First off the vette is fine. My "other vehicle is a 92ford 5.0 fuel injection 4x4. Has 180,000 miles and maintenance is done regularly. Thing is for several years, around town engine sounds fine and strong. I have had various engine work done like alternators, water pump, wires plugs . Bottom side was done with new bearings and seals. Thing is when ever I go out of town a few miles and start going up a hill, I get this chugging/bucking type feel going up the hill. If I step on it into passing gear, engine races up and I'm fine. Does not have to be a steep hill either. Its like a combination of a miss/chugg/who knows.

Any thoughts?

D.T. 09-03-2007 06:25 PM

RE: Engine "chugging"

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Ignition timing not right at low rpm's? Vacuum leaks?

blueshark 09-03-2007 06:37 PM

Sounds like it is staying in overdrive and running on torque. What speeds are we talking about? My '87 auto does that if I'm under 35mph. I just press down on the accelerator and let it shift like you said.

cyclic hardover 09-03-2007 07:19 PM

starts around 40ish when i go up an incline, does not have to be steep either.

cyclic hardover 09-03-2007 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Sounds like it is staying in overdrive and running on torque. What speeds are we talking about? My '87 auto does that if I'm under 35mph. I just press down on the accelerator and let it shift like you said.
Exactly, is this normal?

SCHOON 09-03-2007 07:21 PM

Sounds like a gearing thing. My 74Vet will do that and I give it the gas and away the problem goes.
Cause is the 3:36 rear and a Healthy cam.

C3 Starship 09-03-2007 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cyclic hardover

starts around 40ish when i go up an incline, does not have to be steep either.
Yup, that's normal. A combination of low rpms and high gear. You are low on your power curve.

blueshark 09-03-2007 09:24 PM

Like Starship said, I believe it is normal when the rpms are low to a certain extent and the tranny is still in OD. If the incline were a little steeper it will down shift on it's own Like mine does. I don't think it is anything to worry about but you can check with your local tranny shop to be sure.

CH. By the way...That's a great looking vette.

cyclic hardover 09-05-2007 10:43 AM

Thanks, just basic black and some decent wheels and tires.

blueshark 09-05-2007 06:34 PM

Black...The ultimate color for any vette! My C3 is soon to be.