Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Factory or Dealer side exhaust (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/factory-dealer-side-exhaust-19755/)

rbmotion 11-10-2021 11:27 AM

Factory or Dealer side exhaust

Hey guys. New here and have a few questions. Would like to purchase 69 C3 in good shape like the one I had in my 20s. Mine had factory side exhaust that I would still like to have as an option. I am kind of curious if there is such a thing as side exhaust from the "factory"
or if it was installed at the "dealers" being modified from a standard exhaust car. Reason for this is that I would like to have full rear quarters underneath that have not been cut (just plain ugly) out for clearance of the mufflers.
Just a theory in my head at this time as if it came from the "factory" with side exhaust the rear under-quarters would not have that triangular trim job to make mufflers fit. Your thoughts ????

73shark 11-11-2021 03:54 PM

Welcome to the forum.

'69 factory side exhaust was installed at the St. Louis factory. Not aware of the cutouts for the mufflers. Are you sure the cutouts were done at the factory? My '73, which had larger mufflers than the '69, doesn't have cutouts.

As you are probably aware, the factory side exhaust is very expensive now.

rbmotion 11-12-2021 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 79077)
Welcome to the forum.

'69 factory side exhaust was installed at the St. Louis factory. Not aware of the cutouts for the mufflers. Are you sure the cutouts were done at the factory? My '73, which had larger mufflers than the '69, doesn't have cutouts.

As you are probably aware, the factory side exhaust is very expensive now.

73shark, Thank you for your reply. In my search over the years (and checking under many 69 cars with mufflers), I have noticed in many instances that there was a triangular trim job in the rear quarters about an inch deep.
If the cut wasn't made, you can see that the mufflers installed may have rubbed the quarters. Not sure if this was done at the factory.....or maybe a shop doing a muffler job and made room on their own ?? I have seen many with this cut though.
I found a car that I enjoyed a great deal a year or so ago being sold at a dealer in Florida advertised with factory side exhaust but the 1 inch cuts were in the rear quarters and I questioned them about it with no response.
I noticed that in 70 or 71 the exhaust exits went to a rectangle exit and rear fender flares were added. Maybe more exhaust room ????. Tried to find a few pics on ebay and other sites of what i am referring to but all the
pics fall just short of the area in question. Imagine that. Thanks again

73shark 11-13-2021 12:06 PM

Could you glass in the cutouts without too much trouble?