Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Fan noise, after fan clutch swap (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/fan-noise-after-fan-clutch-swap-9786/)

pg 07-11-2008 11:57 PM

RE: Fan noise, after fan clutch swap

Hi Flying Low, The basic test for the thermo clutch is to start the car when cold, let it run for 2 minutes and stop the motor and see how much resistance you get when you try to turn the fan blanes, then restart the car and run it for 10 minutes ( untill hot ) then stop the motor, you should have more resistance now.
After trying 4 clutches I'll guess that yours is good.
If you still think it is to loud then you'll have to try a 5 blade fan. PG.

pg 07-12-2008 02:02 PM

C3 Starship just brought up a good point! He says to check the line up of the fan blades. 1 or 2 may have inadvertantly got bent when the fan was removed, that could cause extra noise.

Flying Low 07-12-2008 08:35 PM

I will look at that, Thanks for all the help guys.
A grinding wheel balancer might tell me alot about that fan.:eek:
David

73shark 07-13-2008 11:49 AM

Sounds like clutch is always locked up then.

Flying Low 07-13-2008 09:58 PM

Ran the car for two minute checked resistance, then at ten minutes, no diference. after two minutes I cut it off. fan stopped dead.no free spin. I think that confirms it is locked up.:(
C3 , I did check the fan blades, they were all within about
.060", thanks.
David

Texas Jim 07-14-2008 06:37 AM

So, does this mean that you have a bad (defective)fan clutch?
There's such little area for air to get to the front of the radiator in our C3s. I know that when I'm working on my 'Vette, and open the throttle all the way very quickly, I get that "wooshing" sound from the fan even just prior to the secondaries starting to open. Ofcourse at that second, it's time to close the throttle so I don't over-rev the engine. But that fan/clutch combo, even when it's working right, is a noisy joker anyway in our C3s, compared to other vehicles. I suppose it makes sense, that body set-up with the small air passages calls for a heavy-blowing fan/clutch combo.
Please let us know the final outcome ofyour "fan/clutch" situation. Good Luck and thanks for sharing.

Rich G. 07-14-2008 07:24 AM

Maybe it noisy now because the old one wasn't turning the fan fast enough to make noise.

Flying Low 07-19-2008 10:01 AM

Update....Seems to be freeing up with use on low end. It will spin when cold now.

C3 Starship 07-19-2008 10:09 AM

So, is the noise quieting down?
I would think that if the fan is freeing up, you shouldn't have that overbearing roar any longer. ( at least until it fully enguages )

Flying Low 07-19-2008 10:57 AM

Quieter up to about 2000 rpm then roars. ( But I am useually pulling away by then):D