Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Help me surprise my son

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by partsman41
Doc, another option you might consider would be a crate engine- . . . As I recall there's a 290 horse 350 CI long block engine for a little over $2000. Maybe add a little more cam to that and pay somebody $1500 . . . .
I sorta wish I had your problem!
Good Luck!
Ron
I strongly recommend the crate engine option- if you want you can dress it up with chrome valve covers, etc, before you have it installed in the car. I also would point you at the GM 290 HP model, too: there are more powerful crate engines, but this one is inexpensive and simple to install. Crate engine ratings are not directly comparable to "installed in the car" ratings so the 290HP is about 265-275HP - so you're getting about 30-35% more power - which will transform the car but probably not twist its drivetrain to pieces, and will be a very durable well behaved no hassle engine. And, if your son wants to modify it further in the future, its easy to do and the engine will take a lot of additional power goodies without complaining.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM

I understand what you are saying but that engine is about $2000 plus installation -- more than I wanted to spend. (Now if/when the current one "expires" I think that would be a great option.)

If I keep the carb and just go with heads and intake (good idea?), what would be the best (considering performance - just more umph -- and price)? Would Ecklers be a good place to purchase them?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM

That's a good plan as long as you realize the change will not be all that dramatic. With the cam remaining the same increasing the possible air flow will not change things much unless the engine is currently over-cammed. As a very wise person once said on this topic"everything affects everything" so you should see some gains since the stock quadrajet will support more hp than you are currently producing if it's a stock L-82.
I would shop a little for the stuff,my experience tells me there are less expensive places to purchase this sort of equipment than Eckler's,they are competitive with the specialty Corvette stuff but you can buy the generic stuff cheaper from Jeg's or Summit generally.
Ron

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by drmac
I understand what you are saying but that engine is about $2000 plus installation -- more than I wanted to spend. (Now if/when the current one "expires" I think that would be a great option.)

If I keep the carb and just go with heads and intake (good idea?), what would be the best (considering performance - just more umph -- and price)? Would Ecklers be a good place to purchase them?

Eeekkkkk! I just looked at costs for heads - now I understand the Crate engine suggestion!

Two questions:

1. Would there be any hp increase with intake only? Worth the time and money?

Man, this neat idea has turned into a headache

Maybe I should just lower the front end, replace the radio/speakers, and get an engine detail.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 PM

1. Would there be any hp increase with intake only? Worth the time and money?

Probably not,as I quoted earlier:"Everything affects everything" and since you have the headers and plan on using the Quadrajet there simply isn't much hp available by just changing one item-5 maybe,10 hp at the outside.
I think you can still pick up a street nitrous system for under $500 that would be good for 50 hp or so. Lotsa bang for the buck,but it will ultimately destroy the engine. Maybe by then you can save up enough for the crate motor?
Other options could be upgrades for different systems,rack and pinion steering is neat,there are several suspension kits out there that improve the ride and handling,there are brake systems out there that really boost the stopping power and then there are the airflow kits that are more than just appearance items. I put a suspension kit with the fibreglass springs both ends and stiffer roll bars under my 79 and am VERY pleased with the results!
Have Fun!
Ron

Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 AM
pg
Default Needing More Power And Chrome!

Hi drmac and welcome to the forum.
A 100 increase in HP is not going to impress your son, especially the first time a Honda civic blowes his doors off!
Here's what your starting with
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...7/77specs.html
H/P is highly addictive, the more you have the more you need and there is never enough.
A ZZ383 will impress your son for a while BUT H/P costs money! Didn't a poster say 'Everything effects everything else'! That is so true.
You have to consider the total picture, just changing the carb manifold and cam still leaves the bottom weak. Not knowing the true mileage and wear on the pistons rings rods and bearings can cause a quick failure and then your back to square one. Or worst, now the car is broken and you can't even enjoy a normal ride.
Here's a link to another 77 owner and he had the same dilemma. http://www.europeancorvette.com/html/crate_motor.htm
About $5000.00 for a decent motor is about right, his stock tranny might last for a while then you will need a 5 or 6 speed upgrade. (That's another $5000.00 or $6000.00)

Still didn't fall off your chair? Good then lets start at the basics, if your vette has lip seal calipers and it's been sitting and not driven then I would start with a full inspection of the calipers, the pads and the master cylinder before you do anything. Brakes are #1 to repair or replace before anything else. Stock C-3 brakes are GREAT but they will leak if not used for an amount of time.
Have the "U" joints ever been serviced? How long have the front wheel bearings been in there? How many miles on the rear trailing arms and whats the runout?
The list goes on and on, how old are the ball joints and bushings?
You want to buy your son a nice graduation present, get him a stereo with a GPS and let him drive the car for 6 months and see what else needs to be repaired or replaced and go from there.

Regards,
PG.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Brakes, steering, and suspension, in that order, are going to do the most for safety and driving pleasure.

Horse power? Seems like ya can never have enough.
A safe, fine handling, and smooth running machine is best.