Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   New Tires on my 74 (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/new-tires-my-74-a-11307/)

payton34 04-27-2009 07:25 PM

New Tires on my 74

Looking to put 4 brand new tires on my 74 coupe. Does anybody have an idea on what brand I should buy. The current tire size is 225-70/15, does that sound right? Thanks for any input.

DeeVeeEight 04-28-2009 06:52 AM

best tire deals

Tirerack.com

I put the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on my '79 and am very pleased with both the looks and the performance. Tireracks service was great too.

partsman41 04-28-2009 10:47 PM

Kinda depends on where you're going with this. My 79 has 265-60X15's on it,they look like that's about as big as you can go on a 79 and I'm sure your 74 will be about the same. The wider tire balances out the lower profile so the speedo will still be close. Bigger tires tend to slow down the acceleration a little and could effect fuel milage but they stick better. In normal driving I seriously doubt you'll ever reach the limits of the 225's. If you go to the mountains some then you might realize some benefit from the bigger tires. If you have a 4-speed and get a little heavy on the throttle sometimes the bigger tires,especially on the rear will give a little more performance.
So many choices,so little time!
Ron

payton34 04-29-2009 08:51 PM

Thanks guys. Tirerack.com is a great place for tires. 225-70/15 is the correct size, so I may go with some BFGoodrich Radial T/A or Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

C-ya

SCHOON 04-30-2009 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just put BF Goodrich TA's on.
Look great and feel great.

73shark 04-30-2009 06:55 PM

Looks good! Amazing how new tires help the ride. Guess the old ones get stiff w/ age.

payton34 04-30-2009 10:43 PM

That's a sweet Vette, Schoon. Ok, BF goodrich T/A's look good.

Thanks

SCHOON 05-01-2009 06:40 AM

The size is 225-70/15 and they just clear the front fenders.

I paid $383 installed etc @ BJ'S Wholesale Club

Thanks for the complement on my Vet.

Schoon

Texas Jim 05-01-2009 05:28 PM

I had a set of Firestone Indy tires on my 'Vette awhile ago, and they rode so hard, that I went w/ a set of Good Year Integritys (prior to the Indys wearing out), a middle of the road touring tire, as I didn't think that beating the 'Vette to death w/ the hard ride was worth it. I can still run hard into corners and push it quite far before it turns loose and gets alittle sideways, and it's still controlable in a slight slide. Don't get me wrong, if you run your 'Vette that hard, the performance tires are worth it, but you have to be pushing it pretty hard and to the limits. If you've never had anything but hard-riding performance tires on the car, then you might think about a smoother riding tire that can still hang in there IF you think it's worth it.
After having a set of smoother riding tires on my 'Vette, I don't think I'd ever go back to hard riding rubber, maybe only some soft compound stickies, when I need them.

Just something to think about.