Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C3 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/)
-   -   Over heat (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c3-forum-15/over-heat-8760/)

jarrah_12 01-30-2008 05:27 AM

Over heat

Hello Guys ,

I enjoyed the performance of my new GM high performance 350 but even now ( in the winter ) water temp. goes around 200 I changed the radiator and the hoses and I removed the thermostat and the water pump came with the engine. I think I should find a better performance water pump ora thermostat .

any help are welcome ,

thanx&regards

DeeVeeEight 01-30-2008 06:33 AM

RE: Over heat

Aluminum radiator. That's what did it for me! I tried all the other stuff. The aluminum radiator made all the difference.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

wrwalke 01-30-2008 07:46 AM

First question (of course) is... how are you measuring the temp? Using a dash guage? Is it accurate? Second question, what temperature rating is your thermostat? If you are running a 180 degree thermostat, then 180+ is reasonable, up to 190 or so under load. I'm running a 160 with a stock radiator and a higher-flow water pump, and my temp stays rock solid at 160-165, even in mid-summer.

bill.

Texas Jim 01-30-2008 12:36 PM

Your properly working stock cooling system should work just fine for you. Look through and iron out the small thingsFIRST before you spend wads of money unnecessarily.
Here in Texas, I like a 160 degree thermostat, as if you get a malfunction or failure it's hard to catch the 190s before they get away from you. But it is the winter time and I'd say that your problem is a small one right there infront of you. The pump that came with the engine should be just fine.
Do youmean that you "removed" the thermostat or that you "changed" the thermostat? You DO need a thermostat. No thermostat can over-heat you also.

73shark 01-30-2008 04:42 PM

Also no thermostat will never allow the engine to reach operating temp and cause sludge buildup. [:'(]

If it's still overheating with no t-stat., then you have a radiator or water pump problem.

jarrah_12 01-30-2008 05:40 PM

Oh that's another story , the radiator is new also the water pump . Guys do you agree with me to remove the fan that attached to the engine (to make some space for the new fans) I dont know what is it called and replace it with two electric fan attached to the radiator I think it will cool it down ?!

Texas Jim 01-30-2008 06:03 PM

Why do you think that the stock cooling system isn't capable of cooling your engine properly? There was a guy on here not too long ago who bought an aftermarket cooling set-up and was running the engine at somewhere around 110 or 120 degrees which isn't hot enough for a proper operating temperature and makes for the early death of an engine, not to mention that at that low a temperature, the engine won't run efficiently.

pg 01-30-2008 06:10 PM

Water temps near 200* are in an acceptablerange for your 350. The stock water pump is all that you need.
Get a Robert Shaw (333-180) or Mr. Gasket (4364) thermostat. These stats will still flow water if they fail.
The thermostat controls the minimum operating temperature. If your engine runs at less than 180* your oil will not get hot enough to burn off condesation or other contiminates that come from normal blow by.
Hope this helps, PG.

73shark 01-30-2008 08:30 PM

When installing the thermostat, make sure that the bridge on the bottom is positioned such that it doesn't tend to impede the flow. It's a small matter but every little bit helps.

jarrah_12 01-31-2008 08:55 AM

Thanx for the respond guys I really have a bad headache from that heat today I will replace the water pump and I will use 160 t-stat after that I will try a new cooling system , Texas Jim I tell you why I don't like the current system because our weather now arround 12* to 17* C and the watertemp 200 .if I did not solve this problem now I wont be able even to start my engine the tempreture will be more than 50 C in the summer