Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

replacement gas tank woes :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Question replacement gas tank woes :(

Hi Guys,

A while back I removed the sending unit in our new (to us) '68 and it was trashed, so ordered a new one. In looking inside the old tank I decided I didn't want to subject my engine's new top side rebuild with rusty gas so out came the tank, a new one ordered.

The new tank comes in and it's got a 1/4" tube on top (rt. side) where the other tank has what looks like a brazed in plug that's been painted over. Oh-oh. Vented tank vs. non-vented tank? Apparently, worse than that.

A little research yields several references to a return line where that port is but I see nothing but the fuel supply line on the rt. side of the frame.

It sounds like I would either have to replace my fuel pump to an original style AND add the return line, or somehow plug that return tube on the tank and deal with whatever consequences that would bring.

Have the fuel pump/carburetors been improved enough that the return is no longer necessary? I am not that concerned about returning this to stock if there's no benefit - the tank is not "logo'd" and I don't care at all about hidden stuff being correct, at least in this case.

Thanks, Steve

Old 03-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure but I suspect that the cars with the return line had non-vented tanks and an evaporative emission canister to recover fumes evaporating from the tank. Therefore you're probably okay just to plug the vent line on your new tank. Do you have a vented or non-vented cap?

Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Vented cap, which is weird because the tank that was in there was also vented (not a stock tank). In retrospect I should have called around to see if I could find a similar tank before I ordered what I did, but at this point I just want to make what I have work if at all possible.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 PM

I have thought about this all weekend (during the time I should have being installing the tank) and I'm thinking that filling the tube with JB weld and then putting a vinyl cap over it (after it's cured) with a spring clamp will probably last as long as a tank does.