Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   1996 Heated Mirror Issue? (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/1996-heated-mirror-issue-20219/)

corv1996 05-09-2023 12:54 PM

1996 Heated Mirror Issue?

Hello all,
Just found this site and have a problem hoping I can get answers for my 1996 Corvette.

1. My battery continually dies if I don't start the car every 7-10 days. Any longer and it goes completely dead. Took it to my mechanic and he claims there is a draw coming from the heated mirrors and this is a known issue.
Question: I did a search and could not find that this is in fact a known issue. is it? Thoughts?

2. I also did a search for replacement heated mirrors and did not find any after market other than used on ebay and I would be concerned that the ones on ebay would have the same issue.
Thoughts?
Question: Does any one know where I should look for replacement mirrors or have any idea on this issue?

Thanks in advance

thomas77 05-09-2023 07:09 PM

Welcome to the forums. Not sure on your model what operates the heaters on the mirrors, sometimes it operates thru the rear window defroster or a switch on the dash or door panel, sometime thru a temperature switch. When the ignition switch is turned off, the power to the heater relay stops to the mirrors. Changing the mirrors themselves changes nothing, same problem. Check the mirror relay and swap with another relay or replace it, it could be stuck closed in heat mode operating all the time. Could also be a power source continuing to supply power to the relay with the key off. Another thing to check when the key is turned off. Doesn't sound serious, check the relay and power source first..

corv1996 05-09-2023 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77 (Post 80926)
Welcome to the forums. Not sure on your model what operates the heaters on the mirrors, sometimes it operates thru the rear window defroster or a switch on the dash or door panel, sometime thru a temperature switch. When the ignition switch is turned off, the power to the heater relay stops to the mirrors. Changing the mirrors themselves changes nothing, same problem. Check the mirror relay and swap with another relay or replace it, it could be stuck closed in heat mode operating all the time. Could also be a power source continuing to supply power to the relay with the key off. Another thing to check when the key is turned off. Doesn't sound serious, check the relay and power source first..

Thanks @thomas77
I did a search for a relay but didn't find one specific to the mirrors.
I'll have the mechanic check if its part of the rear window defroster relay
When he disconnected the mirrors, the radio stopped working so it's obviously on the same circuit as the radio
Not sure if that is nornal

74HARLEY 05-09-2023 08:08 PM

The mirrors are not part of the rear defroster. Most of the time they are pert of a courtesy group, and they work whenever the key is on. Your mechanic probably just pulled a fuse instead of disconnecting the mirrors inside the door.

thomas77 05-10-2023 01:05 PM

More questions, did your mechanic say the draw is from the mirror adjusters or the heater elements on the back of the mirror? Without a shop manual it's hard to tell where the power is coming from unless you trace it down with a test light. Sounds as if the power is shared between the mirror adjusters and the radio. Stock radio? To isolate the draw, disconnect the mirrors one by one and then disconnect the radio to isolate the draw. Key ignition off. The radio has 12volts at all times for the memory,the interior mirror adjustment switch has 12volts at all times also. I'm not sure if mirrors have 12volts outside at all times.

73shark 05-11-2023 07:14 PM

corv1996: Welcome to the forum.

corv1996 05-11-2023 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 80939)
corv1996: Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, appreciate it

corv1996 05-11-2023 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77 (Post 80931)
More questions, did your mechanic say the draw is from the mirror adjusters or the heater elements on the back of the mirror? Without a shop manual it's hard to tell where the power is coming from unless you trace it down with a test light. Sounds as if the power is shared between the mirror adjusters and the radio. Stock radio? To isolate the draw, disconnect the mirrors one by one and then disconnect the radio to isolate the draw. Key ignition off. The radio has 12volts at all times for the memory,the interior mirror adjustment switch has 12volts at all times also. I'm not sure if mirrors have 12volts outside at all times.

He believes the elements
Yes, the radio is stock
I'll pass this on
Appreciate it

thomas77 05-12-2023 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by corv1996 (Post 80941)
He believes the elements
Yes, the radio is stock
I'll pass this on
Appreciate it

I find this issue of yours fascinating. How long have you owned this car? Has it always been doing this? Has anyone been playing with the wiring before this happened? Heated mirrors are not known to be on the radio circuit, The power to the mirror heaters should go off when ignition is turned off.I think you have a very good battery to last a week. You might want to consider doing some rewiring to change this.

corv1996 05-12-2023 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by thomas77 (Post 80943)
I find this issue of yours fascinating. How long have you owned this car? Has it always been doing this? Has anyone been playing with the wiring before this happened? Heated mirrors are not known to be on the radio circuit, The power to the mirror heaters should go off when ignition is turned off.I think you have a very good battery to last a week. You might want to consider doing some rewiring to change this.

Thanks @thomas77

I have owned this car since 1997 (2nd owner had 24k miles, now has 75k) - I am in Florida and this is a California car.
It has not done this earlier as far as I can tell. Then again, I used to drive it more.
I have had to replace the alternator on this once - geez that was expensive LOL

The wiring AFAIK is original and no one has messed with it since I've owned it

Rewiring? Way beyond me, so what should I communicate to the mechanic