Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   '86 DIC (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/86-dic-3872/)

rwolak 11-10-2006 09:57 AM

'86 DIC

Don't know if this is a problem or if I'm just missing something.

I thought I was having problems with the DIC readouts not working until I pulled the the center counsole apart. I found that all the lights were working, they just can't be seen through the dark black display area. Is there supposed to be some sort of panel between the dark black display panel and the lights that allows the driver to read which lights are working/not working? Actually, should the DIC panel be dark (black) or should it be opaque?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Black86vette 11-10-2006 10:06 AM

RE: '86 DIC

So you cant read your gauges? They should be lit up so you can read them. Can you provide a little more info.

rwolak 11-10-2006 11:01 AM

its not the gauges. Its the "idiot" lights in the middle of the dash, ie, SES, Security, etc. I pulled the front panel off yesterday and found the lights working behind the panel, just can't see them through the panel. I would think that the panel would be somewhat opaque with printing on it to indicate which light/lights are lit.

Black86vette 11-10-2006 11:04 AM

OOOOO. Well yea. Ill pull mine apart today to see. It shoulud be little figures in it with SES.

rwolak 11-10-2006 11:11 AM

ok---thanx. It'll be greatly appreciated. I would think there should be some kind of a panel behind the faceplace to concentrate the light so it can be seen.

Black86vette 11-10-2006 12:14 PM

Ok I got part of the console off. Its proving difficult. Now what exactly did you get. Yes all your lights should be working. BUT is any of your lights going off that should be? Because There are lights all in the car that say light up the shifter, the digidash, the interior lights. So are any lights specicially lit? Im just trying to figure out what you have and then compare it to what I have. You do have a 86 corvette? I have one. So if you do our cars will be identical.

rwolak 11-10-2006 12:29 PM

Yes, I do have an '86.

My SES, door ajar, low coolant lights all light. The SES light goes out after the engine is started. Other lights go out as appropriate, i.e., door ajar.

My problem is I can only see that the lights are working if I take the panel off. The lights can't be seen through the black viewing panel.

When i take the panel off, there is nothing between the panel and the housing holding the lights. I would think there should be some sort of plate that concentrates the light onto the black viewing panel.

rwolak 11-10-2006 12:31 PM

I made a typing error.

I can't see the lights UNLESS I TAKE THE FACE PANEL OFF. I can't see the lights through the black face panel.

Black86vette 11-10-2006 12:49 PM

Ok so say you open your door BUT DONT shut it your security light should blink. When you tried that did the light blink or no?

rwolak 11-10-2006 01:53 PM

I'm not trying to trouble shoot if my lights are working or not. I already know the lights are working.

The working lights don't display through the black face panel on the center console.