Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site

Corvette Forums - Corvette Enthusiast Site (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/)
-   Corvette C4 Forum (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/)
-   -   '89 Starts Cold Runs Fine Won't Start When Turned Off (https://www.corvetteforums.com/forum/corvette-c4-forum-14/89-starts-cold-runs-fine-wont-start-when-turned-off-8714/)

riohippy 01-24-2008 11:24 AM

'89 Starts Cold Runs Fine Won't Start When Turned Off

1989 - Starts great, runs right until I turn it off. When I try to start it again it doesn't want to start until cooled down. Have had it checked by two machanics -- neither could locate a specific problem. One recommended a new coil and/or fuel pump. The other recommended new spark plug wires. What's up? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sorry - originally posted as a '84 (another of our cars)

extanker 01-24-2008 01:38 PM

RE: '89 Starts Cold Runs Fine Won't Start When Turned Off

lets assume its cranking over fine. when it doesnt start check for spark,if ya got spark check for fuel.you can check for spark by pulling off a plug wire and putting a screw driver in the boot ,hold it 3/8 of an inch to ground then have someone crank it over.you want a nice crisp spark jumping off the screw driver to ground.fuel testing need test equiptment

extanker 01-24-2008 01:40 PM

by the way if those wrenchs checked this car while it didnt start one is an idiot,dont go back to that one

LeesVette 01-24-2008 02:18 PM

Fuel injectors. Starts fine cold then hard to start when its hot or won't start at all after the initial start?

extanker 01-24-2008 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: LeesVette

Fuel injectors. Starts fine cold then hard to start when its hot or won't start at all after the initial start?
8 of them went bad at the same time?

3BlkC4Ragtop 01-24-2008 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: extanker

Mines a 1989 too.. it sat for a while beforeI got it.. it ran good for a bit after Igot it.. then the injs needed rebuilding..

acted EXACTLYlike you describe..

yes itcould belots of things.. but my INJS fixed mine.

extanker 01-24-2008 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 3BlkC4Ragtop

ORIGINAL: extanker

Mines a 1989 too.. it sat for a while beforeI got it.. it ran good for a bit after Igot it.. then the injs needed rebuilding..

acted EXACTLYlike you describe..

yes itcould belots of things.. but my INJS fixed mine.

you rebuilt the injectors?they sell rebuilding kits for them?

LeesVette 01-25-2008 08:36 AM

I don't know if they sell the injector kits but I know the ones for LT-1's can be R&R'd.

extanker 01-25-2008 09:22 AM

I don't know if they sell the injector kits but I know the ones for LT-1's can be R&R'd.
remove and replace ? hey riohippy whats up with yer ride? fix it yet